3. has a easy GUI
4. Has a scheduler built in?
5. has to be 100% free.
6.What you guys use on your computers
7. Please do not recommend panda antivirus
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Gabe

Reaction score
I just use Windows Defender on my machines with Malwarebytes to run every week or so.
It is free. It gets updated at least once a day. It does not explicitly have scheduling as it is on all the time but it can do an 'offline scan' It is light on system resources.
Against that it is probably not as powerful as some products.

But it works for us as we are quite paranoid about never opening scam emails and their attachments and we try very hard not to go to dubious web sites.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bitdefender Free. Way better detection rate than Defender. Very lightweight, and user friendly. Set it and forget it.

Bif

Reaction score
Defender because it's uber lightweight and integrated into Windows and Malwarebytes as an on demand scanner is truly all you need...
9/10ths of security is safe browsing habits...the think before you click philosophy.

Reaction score
what do you mean with bitdender free set it and forget it because there are not really any options to set? I look forward to hearing from you thanks.
Bitdefender Free. Way better detection rate than Defender. Very lightweight, and user friendly. Set it and forget it.

Reaction score
One thing with alot of virus software is the free version removes the attacks after they happen through a scan. Usually the paid versions give you real time protections and it will block the attack from being installed. One bad thing is some of the bad software attack your Virus/Malware software and make it hard to even do a scan.

Reaction score
One thing with alot of virus software is the free version removes the attacks after they happen through a scan. Usually the paid versions give you real time protections and it will block the attack from being installed. One bad thing is some of the bad software attack your Virus/Malware software and make it hard to even do a scan.
Incorrect. Most reputable free versions (bitdefender, avast, avira, avg) all have live detection. With way better accuracy than windows defender.

T_J

Reaction score
While not free, I've paid very little for McAfee products on Amazon. New 2012 Dell Windows 7 came with 3 year subscription to McAfee, no problems from 2012 to now. The McAfee auto re-new costs are high, so I just uninstall old product then install new product bought from Amazon.
12/5/2014 - McAfee Total Protection 2015 (1 PC) - $14.47 (includes shipping)
6/12/2016 - McAfee Total Protection 2016 (all your devices) - $15.54 (includes shipping)

Ask a Question