SOLVED Anyone have experience with video screen capture, movies?

Reaction score
I am trying to prove to some folks something is happening with some software. In order to do that I need to be able to capture a video from the computer screen while performing the operation.

I could use an external camera, but some software set to capture the screen would be better... Anyone know of anything?

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've used both
Fraps http://www.fraps.com/
AND
Debut http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html
Not sure if either or both still have a free trial (without watermarking) but
Have you considered just using the Windows Problem Steps Recorder
All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Steps Recorder
OR
Even the new DVR Game Bar
Windows logo key + G
Seems to work OK on a screen capture
Once you realize the controls go up to the top right of the screen

Reaction score
Thanks, I will check out your suggestions. I ended up using my iPhone but it created a large file for a video so I need to find another way to make videos.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Game DVR does pretty good, but if the video is going to be lengthy, even the .mp4 file that it produces, which is reasonably well compressed is still going to be pretty large.

Reaction score
The only option you mentioned which appears to bee what I could use will be the NCH software.

The Game DVR seems to disappear after I start it and the panel is not in the upper right. It also seems to be related to xBox and possibly I would need to be in a Microsoft account, which I am not.

The Steps Recorder is not really compatible with just taking a video of the screen. I am not trying to teach someone how to follow a process but present evidence of a bug.

Thanks again..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I found that the Game DVR worked for me.
You just need to click the record button after you lie to it and tell it this is a game, then it goes to the top right corner where you should be able to stop it when you are done.
It places the video in your profile folder -> videos -> Captures
If you click anywhere else it will disappear, if you don't start it first. Like clicking an alternate monitor or practically anywhere else except the DVR little interface box.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Took me a while to figure out why it kept disappearing.
Seems to like to be launched on the monitor with the app that you want to focus on.
Windows logo key + Alt + R to start and stop recording.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...472&authkey=!ACuEhoP8KHdcO4A&ithint=video,mp4

So you can't launch it on a blank desktop, but as soon as you launch an application you can hit Win+Alt+R and start recording and when you finish Win+Alt+R again to stop recording.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had seen the DVR panel pop up when I opened Sudoku but never really looked at what it was. After I opened it manually, now it was popping up when I opened IE, which I have now selected not to show that message again. But I see no way to shut that panel down...

But I now realize there is a Desktop recording system running all the time and I have no control over it and cannot see it. Are you concerned an app which cannot be disabled may be recording you right now?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you concerned an app which cannot be disabled may be recording you right now?
Nope.
Note really. It's tied to Xbox, just bring up the xBox app and turn it off under settings.
Have you ever ran Auturuns? I mean really ran it, unchecking the normally hidden Microsoft and Windows processes under options and then refreshed.
There is literally so much going on it's impossible to sort through, so....
I just assume that everything I do is being watched by someone.
AND
If they have the patience and time to sort through all the minutiae of millions upon millions of Windows installation...... more power to them and their intelligence gathering telemetry.
Anyone who actually believes that they might still enjoy a shread of actual privacy while using a Windows computer connected to the internet is probably just deluding themselves.

Reaction score
I tried Fraps once, it takes up way too much Disk Space. I used to use Geforce Exp. But I stopped installing that. I really do not have a need to record games. I do take Screenshots.

Reaction score
Yes, I know about System Internals and its software. The last time I used it I got the impression it only looked for Win32 type applications. Process Explorer might be in the same situation. I have not loaded that software on this new machine but I might go ahead and do that.

I never used the xBox and don't even run any of the xBox games such as Solitaire. I did open the app and try to log out or turn off or whatever looked like it might stop the panel from lurking.

I don't think the entities which might be checking telemetry would actually be concerned with patience. I agree many things are no longer private, but an individual should have some control or at least some knowledge about exactly what that information might be.

I will go ahead and set up Autoruns and Process Explorer and see what it is showing on this current system.

Thanks

Reaction score
I tried Fraps once, it takes up way too much Disk Space. I used to use Geforce Exp. But I stopped installing that. I really do not have a need to record games. I do take Screenshots.
I used FRAPS some years ago when I wanted to check the frame rates and take an occasional screen shot. It appears to be mostly for games so I will probably go with the other software or just stick with my iPhone.

There may be some others and I have not yet checked the cost which would have an influence on my decision... ;)

Thanks..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
http://camstudio.org/
another potential option. I think I may have tried it a while back but I don't remember the results.

Capture.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
He doesn't need it for games.
His OP suggested that he needed something that he could use to provide a running video of a particular bug that he was experiencing currently.

Reaction score
Correct, I am not using it for gaming. I have a CAD program and wanted to watch it as I panned around a drawing.

Camstudio seems to involve codecs with which I am not familiar. I need something to be as compatible as possible.

I don't see the panel shown for the Game DVR. Of course the Xbox app wants me to sign in which I will not do. I may even uninstall it.

The Samsung situation has been known for quite a while. I just saw the same warning on TV and that reported Nuance was able to turn your conversation into Text for third party folks. But I understand how it works since all the voice control apps, Cortana, Siri and Amazon's Echo need to access the cloud to complete requests.

I have always thought a password typed in on your system was for protection from folks which might be in your local vicinity. I had not really considered it also protects from something watching your screen from online...

Ask a Question