Anyone still yearning for a Win 7 Start Menu ?

Reaction score
I received an email from Startdock advertising Start10 for Windows 10.
$4.99 one time purchase.
It says it's a beta version but will be officially released on August 12th.

I am over with Win 7 Start Menu craze, but some might still want it.

Reaction score
No. The Windows 7 (aka Windows 95) start menu is old and stale. I'm not sold on this one yet, but it's doable for now. And no, I would never pay for a start menu. I'm using Classic Shell on this Widows 8.1 rig, and have been more than happy with it.

Reaction score
I was trying it out on the Insider preview....it works as advertised. Classic shell also has a beta version for windows 10 also.

Start10

Classic Shell
I have been using Classic Shell for a month or two and like it very much. Everything I could want to add to Win 8.1, which I have been using for about 4 months and don't especially care for. If you are still with 8.1, suggest Classic Shell (free!).

Reaction score
The new Windows 10 Start menu is totally useless to me... I have 100+ apps installed in my Windows 7 PC, organized in 15 folders on my start menu. Can you imagine how much trouble it is to find my programs now under the alphabetical list in the Windows 10 Start menu?

To make matters worse, the Window 10 upgrade migrated and FLATTENED all my folders. There's no way to manage any of them at all.

There is no good reason that a brand new OS should need to depend on third party programs just to be functional.

Reaction score
Can you imagine how much trouble it is to find my programs now under the alphabetical list in the Windows 10 Start menu?
I personally don't like the look of the tiles, but you can drag the tiles and place them in your own organized groups.

Reaction score
I was trying it out on the Insider preview....it works as advertised. Classic shell also has a beta version for windows 10 also.

Start10
Classic Shell
Unfortunately, neither of these retain the tiles functionality of the Start menu.

All I want is the flexibility of having my apps organized under "All Apps" the same way I could under "All Programs" in Windows 7.

I don't want Windows 10 to be Windows 7... I just want it to be functional.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is no good reason that a brand new OS should need to depend on third party programs just to be functional.

Unfortunately Calab Windows cannot be everything for everybody. What seems to be not functional for you is perfectly fine for me and I have no problems at all with the Windows 10 start menu. If they returned it to the old Windows 7 look I would not be happy with it. I like the new, fresh look and operation of the whole system. Microsoft has had to walk a line to develop a Windows version that would satisfy the needs and desires of a really wide range of people from all around the world. Windows 10 in its present format is the result. Remember, it went through 10 months of beta testing with a few million testers submitting ideas and desires for what the final version should be and it looks like most must have been satisfied with the start menu as it is.

For those who prefer something different the third party developers have stepped in with apps to set up things for some of their customer's needs and desires. I'm guessing that several million people will be right at home with Windows 10 and will find no need to alter its appearance or function.

Reaction score
Limited to three groups... and can you imagine what it would look like having 100+ tiles?
Ahh, I didn't realize it was limited to only three groups, that is ridiculous.

If they returned it to the old Windows 7 look I would not be happy with it.
Why would they need to return it? I've been asking why they couldn't have an option of both, since the introduction of Windows 8. Having both menu option would be 1000 times less bloat, than some of the crap they won't remove from the OS.

Reaction score
I don't understand about this "three groups"
I just switched to tablet mode. Just made seven groups, and named them.
Then turned off tablet mode.
Will segregate the rest tomorrow. Gives me back some control.

Reaction score
I just installed Classic Shell on windows 10. So far I like it but then I was partial to W7 anyway. Since it's free I won't complain.

Reaction score
4.2.1 I think there was a later version (4.3?) but the download button I was looking at was what I got. I like it.
There is a "release candidate version" 4.2.3.

Last edited by a moderator:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
That's what I was after...you're using the official windows 8/8.1 classic shell. The beta version...aka RC (release candidate) is version 4.2.3. This is the version that's going to be for windows 10.

Try version 4.2.3 and compare it to the version you're running now.

Reaction score
Will do.
(edit) Got it. haven't seen any big difference yet. Thanks for letting me know about the later update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I been using this StartMenu X since w8, got it free one time on some giveaway site, after I used it a while I went and got it for 5 bucks with lifetime updates, I like it because you can add all kinds of folders, that actually look like what you have, not some flat squares.

(I thought 10 was going to have the "option" to use a W7 type start menu, and even bring back the AERO look)

here's a link http://www.startmenux.com/index.html

Reaction score
Personally I like the Windows 10 Start Menu much better than the Windows 8.1 version.
For me, it's just a matter of adapting to some minor changes. Really not that big of a learning curve so far.

Ask a Question