Applications using setup.exe will not work, get error message

Reaction score
Using win 10 Home
I have been using programs from GAOD for years and suddenly in the last 2 weeks or so when clicking on "setup.exe" I get an error stating " A required privilege not held by the client". I have tried running a administrator, clearing cache, rebooting, downloading the app again and still have the problem. Not sure where to go from here. Using win 10 of course. There are suggestions in Win 7 forums but not sure if I should use those suggestions in win 10

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Munybuny,

There is a couple of approaches you can take here.

First you need to set Sharing permissions for either the entire C Drive, or just the Program Folder in question - you choice. So for example if you wanted to share the Adobe folder with everyone:
  • Open File Explorer and navigate to the Program Files (x86) directory
  • right-click on Adobe folder and select Properties
  • Select the Sharing tab
  • Click Advanced sharing button
  • check the box next to Share this folder then click the Permissions button
  • Select Everyone or if you only wish to share with a particular user you can add them there
  • When you have the user selected you want Check the Full control box then click Apply, OK
  • Close File Explorer
Second, you need to modify a registry setting.
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes when the User account Control appears
  • In the Administrator: Command prompt window type or copy and paste the following command:

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press Enter key to execute

A Notification from the Action Center will appear. Click on it and click Restart to reboot computer and allow the changes to take affect.

Simply apply the same methodology above to the program folder you need to share, or as previously stated to the C Drive itself which would then share everything in that directory.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question