Apps not running on secondary User Account

Reaction score
The issue I am having is that some applications are failing to launch on my Sons User account on my PC, but they launch fine on my account.

I have tried a few things, but am at a loss as to what is going on. Here is a bit more info on the issue:

The PC was recently upgraded to Win10 and had a new user account added for my Son to use.
On my Son's account some applications (i.e. Steam and Origin) fail to start. They don't crash, or hang, they just do nothing when I double click the icons. I have checked the task manager and the apps are not running in the background.
Other applications such as Word and Chrome all work fine and on my account (set as administrator), everything works perfectly.

When I right click and choose to Run as Administrator on the problematic apps, then they start opening but don't really work properly (Steam opens, but every game fail to run and Origin opens to an empty window).

As I was getting different behaviour running as administrator and these applications run fine on my administrator account, I thought I would try giving my Son administrator privileges (not something I want for long term, but I thought it would help locate the issue). This failed to help and the issue remains exactly the same.

I am also slightly unsure that my Son's account is truly an administrator account. When I look at his user settings, it says administrator, yet when I do certain actions it says I need administrator permission.

Any idea what could be going on?
Many thanks.

Reaction score
I'm no expert at PCs, but what I might suggest is deleting your son's user and then creating another one with administrative abilities. If it fixes the problem, then good riddance to that old bug. If it doesn't fix it, I'm afraid you'll need someone with higher expertise than me. :)

Reaction score
I'm no expert at PCs, but what I might suggest is deleting your son's user and then creating another one with administrative abilities. If it fixes the problem, then good riddance to that old bug. If it doesn't fix it, I'm afraid you'll need someone with higher expertise than me. :)

Good idea, I think I'll set up another user account and try with that. If it works and can copy all his files across quite easily and delete the old account.
May be about a week till I can give it a go though (don't get many chances to get on that PC), so if anyone else has any thoughts incase that doesn't work they would be most appreciated.

Reaction score

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Setting up a new account worked fine, so I have transferred all his data to that and deleted the old account.
Odd thing was that my daughters account was also broken and needed this doing, which leads me to think 'something' broke the accounts. A Windows update maybe?

Anyway... it's working. Thank you all.

Ask a Question