SOLVED Archiving Photos in Windows Mail

Reaction score
I thought that I would experiment with saving a photo from an incoming email. Evidently, the email itself got archived when I pressed the button. I have attempted to do a search on my hard drive for same, but without success. In what folder might an archived message be saved?

Gordon

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Gordon,

img1.png

If you do not see that, then click More to see all your Mail directories, and it should be listed.

All emails from the Mail app are stored locally at the path:

Code:
%localappdata%\Comms\Unistore\data\3

The above is a shortcut of the longer:

C:\Users\reged\AppData\Local\Comms\Unistore\data\3

You can type or copy & paste the shortcut in your File Explorer address bar then press Enter

Once at the location you'll see your emails listed as .dat files inside a series of sub-folders.

Unfortunately, there is no user friendly naming of the sub-folders, or files themselves, however you can see the Date/time modified column which may assist in finding a email you seek.

These files can be opened using Notepad but be aware if the email was sent or arrived in .htm or .html format, you will find it a lot easier to read if you do the following:
  • Select and copy the .dat file
  • Paste a copy to your Desktop [ or a location of your choice ]
  • Right-click the copied file and select rename then replace the .dat extension with .html
  • Now you can open the file in your browser

Reaction score
Many thanks for your response. The Archives folder did not show up at first, but it appeared when I logged on later.

Ask a Question