Arranging Photos in a Folder

Reaction score
Hello everyone~

Currently, I have multiple folders with LITERALLY hundreds (collectively) of photos in them from different trips I have taken as well as pictures from or of friends mine all of which have the "default" (alpha numeric) file name as they were on mine and/or my friends phone or digital camera.

Due to the sheer amount of the pictures it would, of course, be very tedious to go along and rename each individual picture or even to bulk rename them.

What I am looking for is a way to CUSTOM arrange the photos the way I would like to in each individual folder regardless of the "default" file name. As it stands now I can ONLY use the Windows standard arranging i.e. by date, time name, last accessed or modified, etc.

I have done some research about this and apparently (and I have been able to do this before) MS has 'conveniently' removed this ability as of a particular update in Windows 10 .. with no apparent ability to restore this ability.

I do know there is potentially a batch file or some such method available to be able to bring this functionality, but apparently that method is only a temporary fix, as soon as the system is rebooted or power cycled OR the folder you were working is is closed and re opened the ability to custom arrange does not work anymore or the custom arrangement is no longer the way it was.

So, with all of the above taken into account, does anyone have any knowledge of any 3rd party solution OR a registry edit or 'hack' that I could use to force or bring this ability back to my Win 10 system ? Either method would be fine with me. My system is Win 10 Pro updated to the latest release(non preview).

Thanks in advance.
LoneWolf

Reaction score
Without putting together specific Albums I don't see how this would be possible without renaming each file. I think there Are programs that put Albums together that would do what you want but I have never used any or really know anything about them. I always rename my photos as I go along and delete duplicates or lower quality picture and then keep them in seperate folders named to recognise what the contents would be.

Reaction score
Clint~

Well part of your solution i have already done .. each event or person DOES have their own folder .. and a majority of the duplicates or photos that didn't turn out as planned are removed .. so THAT part is taken care of .. its just the ability to NOT BE ABLE to custom sort is whats aggravating.

There are times where I would like (and have done in the past) to make a custom slideshow .. buy copy/pasting photos in a folder and run the slideshow.. BUT since a custom arrangement is NOT capable in a folder that makes that option a real pain in the backside.

Which is why I was looking for an alternative so I can customize the arrangement on folder level regardless of the file name. Be it a name that I have done for the picture OR its default name as it came off of the device or how it was sent to me.

Reaction score
Well without file name or date I'm not sure how pictures could be sorted even meta dat would still be name or date like I said Album I believe pictures could be placed and they would stay as placed. Also believe that some slideshow programs can be manually sorted. I don't believe there is any manual sort feature in windows explorer?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...lorer-on/7d03adaa-57f9-44db-96b3-de9d1f34673d

Reaction score
Clint ~

Yep I seen that response in my research :) Thank you any way . I Did however see another post that DOES say that at one point it was indeed possible to do a Manual sorting of the files .. much like you can do with the Icons/shortcuts on windows desktop.

Matter of fact I Do remember being able to do that at one point.. I believe the answer that was given in response to that (from MS) was due to the fact that it slowed down the operation of the system. I don't remember the exact verbiage but it was something to that effect.

Thanks any way :)
LoneWolf

Ask a Question