Attempting an upgrade

Reaction score
purchased a Win 10 home usb.
Upgrading from 7 premium.
During the process window says to remove the media drive and reboot.
Got to the point where it says upgrade.
Went thru the updating process.
Now asking if to install with 10 and files and apps - does that mean my non window progams as well.
Other choice was to install only 10. I chose the install with files and apps.

Now im waiting and wondering if i should have stopped.

Reaction score
First, what does your system components consist of? Do you have a 'Touch Screen' to use apps appropriately? Second, your 'None Windows' programs will have to be reinstalled anyway irrespective. Win 10 only installs its core apps and programs all other none windows programs and apps will have to be reinstalled or new one installed.

If you have upgraded from Win 7 Prem then the new Win 10 has a folder called 'Windows.old' and that is where all your old Win 7 Prem files are. To prevent data loss, you have to back up your files and settings to an external drive before resetting, refreshing, upgrading, or reinstalling Windows!

If you choose to “Keep nothing” when you upgrade to Windows 8.1 or 10, or if you reset, refresh, or reinstall Windows, your personal files are temporarily saved to the Windows.old folder for 28 days (unless you formatted your hard drive before installing). If you decide you want some or all of these files back, you can usually retrieve them from this folder.

To retrieve your files
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
  2. Enter Computer in the search box, and then tap or click Computer in the search results.
  3. Double-tap or double-click the drive that Windows is installed on (typically, the C: drive).
  4. Double-tap or double-click the Windows.old folder.
  5. Double-tap or double-click the Users folder.
  6. Double-tap or double-click your user name.
  7. Open the folders that contain the files you want to retrieve.
  8. Copy and paste the files that you want from each folder to a folder in Windows 8.1 or 10.
  9. Repeat steps 5–7 for each user account on your PC.

Reaction score
Sorry, that was not alot of info on my part.
Its a desktop and I thought in the past with an upgrade all 3rd part programs carried over.
I have 2 external hard drives in the case, so connected internally. I use Sync top for syncing to one drive, the other stores images. Plus i use Carbonite. Its not the mp3s or documents I am worried about, its the time it will take to reinstall the programs.

The ugrade failed anyway - hopefully not a driver issue but that I have Norton installed and the hard drives. The error that popped up suggested about a dozen reasons why it failed and the Norton and HHD’s make the most sense.

Ask a Question