Audio sound fades out after a few minutes of play

Reaction score
Started recently. Might have been caused by an update. Audio sound fades out after a few minutes of playing in win 10 on Toshiba laptop. Tried a lot of suggestions on google, also ran troubleshooter and updated driver Conexant SmartAudio HD from Toshiba web sight but to no avail. Help!!!

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm assuming you updated your driver via Toshiba's website.

What may help, would be to download the executable for Audio, then:
  • Via Device Manager, fully uninstall the Conexant Smart Audio HD suite
  • Restart computer
  • Locate the Executable installer for Audio and right-click and choose Properties
    • Select the Compatibility tab
    • Set the compatibility to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
    • Apply change
  • Now right-click the executable again and this time select Run as administrator

You could also try the Audio Troubleshoot tool built-in to Windows 10:
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • In the Windows Settings window select Update & Security
  • On the left side select Troubleshoot then on right side run the Playing Audio troubleshooting tool.

Reaction score
I'm assuming you updated your driver via Toshiba's website.

What may help, would be to download the executable for Audio, then:
  • Via Device Manager, fully uninstall the Conexant Smart Audio HD suite
  • Restart computer
  • Locate the Executable installer for Audio and right-click and choose Properties
    • Select the Compatibility tab
    • Set the compatibility to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
    • Apply change
  • Now right-click the executable again and this time select Run as administrator

You could also try the Audio Troubleshoot tool built-in to Windows 10:
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • In the Windows Settings window select Update & Security
  • On the left side select Troubleshoot then on right side run the Playing Audio troubleshooting tool.

Reaction score
Regedit32, I tried all that you suggested but there is no change. When the sound faded out I right clicked my speaker icon and selected sound then speaker and the sound returned. Sound also returned when I chose microphone or if I just let it play it eventually goes on and off. This is through a series of tunes. I thought I would mention it. This is annoying. Please help. It is inconvenient using an outside speaker.

Regedit32

Reaction score
  • Right-click the Speak icon in the System tray and select Sounds
  • Select the Communications tab
  • Check the Radio button next to Do nothing
That may help with your headset

What headset are you using by the way? Can it be plugged in to a different port to see whether or not it works better on a different port, or if wireless, can the dongle be plugged into a different USB port.​

Reaction score
If that Toshiba Notebook/Laptop is like my wife's it has only Mic and Headset sound ports, not much can be done with that. Don't know if its been tried but as a diagnostic has a self-powered external speaker set been plugged into the headset port to test if the audio fades in a similar manner to the headset? If so it probably is the motherboard.

Reaction score
If that Toshiba Notebook/Laptop is like my wife's it has only Mic and Headset sound ports, not much can be done with that. Don't know if its been tried but as a diagnostic has a self-powered external speaker set been plugged into the headset port to test if the audio fades in a similar manner to the headset? If so it probably is the motherboard.

Bighorn, It is a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150 laptop. To bypass problem, I use external speaker plugged into headset port and so far sound is constant (no sound off and on.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
  • Right-click the Speak icon in the System tray and select Sounds
  • Select the Communications tab
  • Check the Radio button next to Do nothing
That may help with your headset

What headset are you using by the way? Can it be plugged in to a different port to see whether or not it works better on a different port, or if wireless, can the dongle be plugged into a different USB port.​

Regedit32, button was already set to Do nothing. Don't use an headset only external speaker to bypass problem which seems to be still working fine, no off and on sound problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Regedit32, button was already set to Do nothing. Don't use an headset only external speaker to bypass problem which seems to be still working fine, no off and on sound problem.
Then its more then like a problem with your laptop as bighorn pointed out in post number 6

Ask a Question