SOLVED Auto-completion of run dialog box

Reaction score
Hi everybody !

Does someone know how to activate the auto-completion in the run dialog box ?

In the previous version (1511, 1607), when I started typing regedit, services.msc, gpedit.msc, etc... It would show me results (choices) in a scroll-down panel. Now it doesn't ! :(

If I type something in the file explorer search area, it's working fine but not the run dialog box ?!??

So, I'd like to get it working like it used to.

Thank You for your answers. :)

Have a Nice Day ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jay B,

Are you running any 3rd Party cleaners? Ccleaner for example.

Some have a settings that will automatically clean previously entered data.

Sample image

cc.png

That option in Ccleaner, and similar options in other applications that clean files and the Windows Registry will be clearing all values in the following Registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

The sub-key RunMRU is where what you type in the Run dialog is stored.

Sample image

RunMRU.png

If you wanted to you could manually add new strings from 'a' to 'z', and stick a specific command into its Data value, to replace any lost ones. In all honest though, it'd be simpler to just type the command into the Run dialog, click OK and it'll have its entry added to the Registry for you. Still, if you miss typed one, you now no where to go to delete it, so it does not nag you later.

My gut feeling is that its more than likely a cleaning action you are doing rather than a OS bug.

If you are sure its not something you use to maintain your computer, then let me know, and I'll see if I can re-create the issue my end to work out what is going on and how to fix it.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

I do use CCleaner but the box for Run dialog is unchecked and I always uncheck that option.

I went in the Registry, following your path and there's only one value in it as you can see below.

RunMRU.PNG

I ran a sfc /scannow and everything is OK

Beside this, this version (1703) has been working great so far ! :)

Thanks for your answer

I'll wait for your solution.

Bye ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well if there are no strings there, that means nothing is being stored, or that something cleared what was stored.

As a test open Run dialog, and type
Code:
control /name Microsoft.Personalization
then click OK

That ought to open you to your settings window, Personalization > Background

Assuming it does, then close settings and in your Run dialog type regedit then click OK

Click yes to the UAC prompt then go check the registry key again to see if you now have 3 new strings like so:

Untitled.png

If you do not, then report back.

If you do, then press winkey + R and clear whatever is in your dialog [ most likely regedit ] as that would have been the last thing you typed there. Now type reg and as you type it ought to display regedit in drop down like so

2.png

If it does that then it is working fine; which means something else is clearing your RunMRU key.

It that does not work, then I'll have to work on creating the issue my end to figure out why not and a solution.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

I typed « control /name Microsoft.Personalization » and as you said it brought me to Personalization.

After I went in the Registry and there's still only one value ?!?? o_O

RunMRU.PNG

The very first day I installed this version, I had to set policies for WU using gpedit.msc, and get to some file and it didn't record the entries I had made.

Thanks for your help ! :)

I'll wait for your answer

Bye ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Actually I just had a Eureka moment maybe :cool:
  • Press winkey + S then in the search/Cortana field type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command prompt and select run as administrator
  • Click Yes to the UAC prompt
  • Now at the prompt type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete" /v AutoSuggest

Press Enter key

If you do not see: AutoSuggest REG_SZ yes then simply type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete" /v AutoSuggest /t REG_SZ /d "yes" /f

Press Enter key

Type exit then press Enter key to close the command prompt.

Now right-click on Taskbar, select Task Manager

Scroll to bottom of window, and right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart

After the screen flashes/darkens, close Task Manager, and check your run dialog again.

You can achieve all of the above via GUI too:
  • Press winkey + R and type inetCPL.CPL into the run dialog then click OK
  • Select the Content tab
  • In the Auto Complete panel click Settings
  • Check the first box next to Address bar and click OK
  • Then close the window, and as before via Task Manager restart Windows Explorer

Regedit32

Reaction score
One other thing you could verify:
  • Start > Settings > Personalization > Start ::: Show most use apps
start.png

For some builds, if that is toggled off the Run History is emptied automatically.

I'm on the latest build and this issue has not arisen, so perhaps you could be a few updates behind?!​

Reaction score
Hi !

I entered the first code and no key or value was found.
Then I entered the second code and press Enter and the operation was successfull.
I restarted Windows Explorer.exe, and check the run dialog but it still doesn't record the entries ! :(
I went back in the Registry... still the same.:confused:

RunMRU.PNG

And I did all this
  • Press winkey + R and type inetCPL.CPL into the run dialog then click OK
  • Select the Content tab
  • In the Auto Complete panel click Settings
  • Check the first box next to Address bar and click OK
  • Then close the window, and as before via Task Manager restart Windows Explorer
The box was already checked.
It still doesn't auto complete.
If You have any other idea I will follow your advice.

I'll come back tomorrow to look if you have found something.

The show most used apps is greyish and off

Bye ;)

Reaction score
Hi

Here are the updates I got

Updates.PNG

Hope this could be helpfull ?!??

Thank You ! :)

Bye ;)

Reaction score
Hi !

Yesterday I found a tutorial that could resolve my issue.

After checking it, I found out that there was a « Value » missing in the « Autocomplete » key of the Registry ! o_O
It was the « Append Completion » wich I created after seeing it misssing.

Append Completion.PNG

Unfortunately :( the problem remains !

So this morning I'm using Microsoft's Software Repair Tool, and it has been stuck at 50% for over two hours !
Each time I use one of their utility, it's always the same story, everything is fine according to their results, but it's not the case ! :mad:

Software Repair Tool.PNG

I'll keep you up to date if I find a solution !:)

Bye ;)

P.S.: I did a in-place upgrade and the problem is still there !

Reaction score
Hi !

I stopped the Software Repair Tool because it was still stuck at 50% after all that time !!! :mad:

But, I discovered that I have to set at on « Allow Windows to track application launches to improve the Start menu and search results » so that the « Show most used apps » can switched to on.
Once these two are on, the auto-completion for the Run dialog box is working !
I went in the Registry to check in « RunMRU », after I had typed « regedit and gpedit.msc », and now the new « Values » are there as you can see below :

RunMRU.PNG

And if I disallow Windows to blah, blah, blah... The second setting gets switched off, and the « Run dialog box stops working !:mad:

Very twisted from Microsoft ! :mad:

There must be a way to stop Microsoft from collecting datas and getting the « Run dialog box » to be working ?!??

If You have any idea, I'm listening ! :)

Regards ;)

Reaction score
Thanks JAY B. that bothered me for a long time. I thought this was caused by some policy changes I made. I would never have thought to look in the privacy settings....

Very twisted indeed...:mad::mad:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Nice detective work JAY B!

I cannot read minds per se, but I speculate that given Windows 10 is offered now as a Service, rather than an OS, the Privacy features will only get more staunch as time goes on, because in reality for all of us using Windows 10 Home and/or Profession editions, we are the Guinea pigs for the Corporate world using Windows 10 Enterprise and/or Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB editions.

The LTSB version especially given it comes with a Guarantee of 10 years of support from Microsoft, and does not include apps like Microsoft Edge, Cortana, etecetera, and the Users of this edition will not be offered endless updates like we are.

Thus Microsoft needs data from us to be able to offer the 1 in 3 year LTSB updates that will ensure Corporate computers run as smoothly as possible without major crashes.

Before you get upset at that - just think, if you ever need to go to Hospital you want their computers - especially any associated with Surgery or running equipment hooked up to you has no bugs in it.

Reaction score
Hi !

I understand that Microsoft needs feed back from our OS.
But I think they push it a bit too far, because it made me believe that there was something wrong with my OS, and I went through a lot of things only to find out that it is the way it's working now ! :)

You see, I don't use Cortana, I only turned it off, same thing for One Drive, I only turned it off and the same for the apps I'm not using, nothing has been uninstalled, and I don't use third party utility or apps to stop the data collection from Microsoft because like you said, they need the feed back for improving the OS, and I believe it is necessary, so that we'll get a better product.

I won't get upset at that, I still like very much this version. :)

Hope this will be helpfull to other people living the same experience.

Best Regards :) JAY B.

Should I mark this thread as solved ?
I think so ;)

Ask a Question