Automatic login of last user?

Reaction score
With one small decision, Microsoft has made me decide to revert back to 7.

What is that decision? The decision, a staggeringly incompetent one, is to automatically login the previous user on a multi-user system that has no passwords.

Yes - with W10, if you have multiple users with no passwords set, the previous user is automatically logged in at startup.

Who could possibly think that behaviour is ever desirable? It's an absolute howler.

My family and I all use the same computer. We've never needed or wanted passwords - we just want our own desktops, shortcuts etc.

It seems the only way to prevent an automatic login is to make everybody have, and enter, a password. There's no way around that, apparently.

I'm sure that in time, someone at Microsoft will realise what a nosebleed-inducing screw-up this is, and change the behaviour. Until then, I'm reverting to W7.

Reaction score
Hi

It seems that at some point during the boot process you have to make a choice as to who is going to login in any case.

So why not allow the password option and just have everyone enter there own Pin Number at the login screen, you only have to enter 4 numbers.

It's not like you can just turn it on and walk away if you have to decide who's logging in.

I don't have anyone else using my computer but I still use the Pin Number to login, it only takes a couple of seconds to do it.

Mike

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems that in a lot of cases......
It's the principal of the thing.
I've seen a few comments on this and some other forums where people describe there computer as an "appliance" and go on to say that they would no more want to log into their computer than they would their refrigerator or television.

I don't subscribe to that particular philosophy, since I know that my computer is not an appliance. I don't use my refrigerator to store critical documents like tax records and banking information nor do I use my refrigerator to access the Worldwide Web.
So while that is to some extent a humorous way of thinking of your computer (as an appliance), it is in no way a reality, and I would suggest that everyone secure their computer with a very strong password, including a PIN and Picture Password and throw biometrics into that as well (fingerprint readers, iris scanners and facial recognition).

In the mean time, I'll order up a IoT (smart) refrigerator and see how hard it is to secure that thing.

Reaction score
I accept that principle, and on other devices that actually matter, I absolutely have a password set.

I think there are a few points here though.
Firstly, you can intentionally set it up to auto-login. Why would Microsoft allow that if they're so hot on security?
Secondly, who do Microsoft think they are, making those decisions for me? Apple?
And finally, why would anybody want a multi-user OS to automatically sign in the previous user as a default option?

Reaction score
wanstrinian,
If you are still running Windows 10, may I suggest that you put in your request to Microsoft via the Feedback app. That is where MS people are supposed to read and take notes.
If you attract enough votes, maybe MS will reconsider.
No guarantees even if MS will listen, but it beats voicing your displeasure in forums that are not affiliated with Microsoft.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
wanstrinian,
If you are still running Windows 10, may I suggest that you put in your request to Microsoft via the Feedback app. That is where MS people are supposed to read and take notes.
If you attract enough votes, maybe MS will reconsider.
No guarantees even if MS will listen, but it beats voicing your displeasure in forums that are not affiliated with Microsoft.

Thank you.
I would be delighted to, however I couldn't find it in the release version of W10. When Googling it, it appeared to be only in the pre-release version. However, I'll look again. I would be more than happy to direct my frustration at those who most deserve it :)

Reaction score
I don't use my refrigerator to store critical documents like tax records and banking information
Under those conditions it is my opinion that the application be what is logged into not the operating system. And to be honest the login requirements are already there at the application level so why require it at the OS level as well? Seriously I'm tired of all the redundant security measures on a system for which I need none.

Reaction score
I would be delighted to, however I couldn't find it in the release version of W10. When Googling it, it appeared to be only in the pre-release version. However, I'll look again. I would be more than happy to direct my frustration at those who most deserve it :)

Feedback app is available to all versions of Windows 10.
The fasteset way is to type feedback in the search box > Windows Feedback should appear at the popup box, right click at it > click Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar.

Ask a Question