Automatic Repair Loop

Reaction score
Hello, every time I turn on my Lenovo laptop it waits a while then comes up with 'Preparing Automatic Repair' and starts loading then it just goes to a black screen and I can't do anything, does anyone know a fix to this issue? The laptop is still on when it goes to a black screen and I'm even unable to move my mouse.

This all started when I was browsing randomly then a page started loading for a while then said 'Your PC ran into an error and has to restart' Then it came up with the same, however after it said 'Preparing Automatic Repair' it didn't come up with a black screen, it came up with a blue screen and gave me a bunch of options to diagnose my laptop, after selecting one it said 'Diagnosing your laptop' then the laptop went off, after turning it back on I now get what I said on the first paragraph, with the black screen.

I'm not much of an expert with PC's, but I was wondering if anyone knew a fix that's not too difficult, or if there's a fix at all.
Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Flamey, there are a variety of causes, which means that there are a variety of solutions. Be aware that your hard drive might be failing.

Try to go in with Safe Mode and immediately run your anti-virus. If that works, while still in Safe Mode, back up everything you need to a thumb drive, DVD, etc.

If you are able, go into Task Manager--File--Run New Task, and type powershell into the box. Then check the box giving you Administrative Privileges and press Enter. In PowerShell:

Type sfc /scannow into the window and press the [Return] key. The scan may take some time and will end with one of three results. Windows did not find any integrity violations and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them mean there are now no corrupt files, but Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them indicates a problem.

In this latter case, type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key. This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

Flamey, if your problem is a failed or failing hard drive, this won't help. If it's a software glitch, there's a good chance that it will work.

Reaction score
I'm unable to get into safe mode sadly, no matter what I try I just get redirected to a black screen.
Thanks for the reply though!

Reaction score
Flamey, I advise you to take it to a reputable computer repair shop to see what they can do. I'm sorry that I can't come up with something better.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you have the installation media you can boot from that and access some of the advanced troubleshoot features, including Startup Settings -> Safe Mode.
IF you don't have it, you can use a second working computer to acquire it from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media you can use it to boot your computer.
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, so I just have to download what you said after I selected all the settings like 64 bit etc, I just install then I burn it onto a disk and put it in my 'broken laptop' ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The instructions are for generating bootable installation media. So that you can at least start your computer from it and perhaps use it to access some of the advanced troubleshooting options.

Ask a Question