Avast buys AVG

Reaction score
I'm certainly happy to see AVG go. Maybe now something good (we can only hope) will come from their hard work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm certainly happy to see AVG go
Can't disagree with that.
I'm just not too fond of the idea of super-sizing AV / Security vendors. When they get big it always seems like they try to produce some super duper product that becomes such a resource hog that the consumer ends up suffering.
IMHO AVG had already gone down that path and Avast wasn't far behind.
Now I guess we'll see, what kind of be all, end all, cure all, product they come up with

Bif

Reaction score
Interesting indeed..both were/are bloat ware in my opinion and experience. Maybe something that's actually useable will come out of this..

Reaction score
I used AVG many years ago I found that it hogged resources unnecessarily. Currently running Malwarebytes and Avira very pleased with both. Nothing has got past them yet. I like the fact they alert you if the find a malicious site, unlike Windows Defender.

Reaction score
Both products became very bloated. And I stopped using Avast a few years ago when they started using Google analytics to track their users on the web.

Reaction score
I used AVG many years ago I found that it hogged resources unnecessarily. Currently running Malwarebytes and Avira very pleased with both. Nothing has got past them yet. I like the fact they alert you if the find a malicious site, unlike Windows Defender.

I tried Avira a few years ago but I found the constant pop ups to be too annoying. Have they solved this?

Reaction score
ram1220 "Yes" There is the odd pop up for upgrade or updates, but its no worse than most programs. Avira does a thorough job, has great reviews. If it's doing its job I can tolerate the odd pop-up. Windows Defender just sits there like a door mat, you never know if it's working.

Reaction score
AVG was once a very good AV. But it certainly turned in to bloatware over the years. I'll stick with Bitdefender.

Reaction score
I tried all of them, but came back to Windows Defender and NO problems like the other anti-viruses. Run Hitman Pro paid with WIN 10 Defend...

Reaction score
Well, I recently installed AVG on the advice of my computer shop (he is reliable). But it is pestering me with reminders to pay for other items. I also have Malwarebytes (paid).

>>But setting that aside, many people are critical of AVG. Why?

>>Is it mainly because of the nagging and bloatware? Neglecting that, how effective is it in practice.

>>Also, how reliable is Defender?

Last edited:
Reaction score
For me it was when I tried AVG, it crippled my system worse than McAfee/Norton products. That was however back 2009, and I've heard they fixed the issue that was the cause. I've been happy with MS's solutions since and haven't wanted to look back to AVG.

Bif

Reaction score
Now if only McAfee would follow suit and stop crippling systems!...my ISP offers this product free but it too renders my laptop almost useless..but I digress.

Reaction score
Well, I recently installed AVG on the advice of my computer shop (he is reliable). But it is pestering me with reminders to pay for other items. I also have Malwarebytes (paid).

>>Is it mainly because of the nagging and bloatware? Neglecting that, how effective is it in practice.

>>Also, how reliable is Defender?

Just use Defender, can't go wrong :) I tried AVG about 2 years ago, but slowed my WIN 7 down. Now with WIN 10 I don't know it's there, it's reliable since it's part of Microsoft.....And FREE.

:)

Reaction score
For me it was when I tried AVG, it crippled my system worse than McAfee/Norton products. That was however back 2009, and I've heard they fixed the issue that was the cause. I've been happy with MS's solutions since and haven't wanted to look back to AVG.

This was the same experience I had with Norton and AVG too. Left a bad taste and I won't try them again. I now use Eset Antivirus (got a special for $19 per year for 3 computers) and Malwarebytes Free. My system is lightning fast.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Doesn't get a whole lot better tan Eset, except maybe Kaspersky.
I was doing a remote assistance project last night helping a buddy with an issue he was having and he had Kaspersky installed (probably at my suggestion IDK).
It was a constant irritant from my perspective as everytime I tried to do something it had a pop up waiting for me. I suppose that might probably be a good thing from another stand point but I got so aggravated that I suspended it for an hour just to get some work done.

Ask a Question