SOLVED Back ups

Reaction score
I know most members on here do regular disk images as I do. But does anyone use File history? I have been backing up my docs using file history to a thumb drive and find it convenient as I only create images once/week or after an update.
File history goes about its business without any user intervention.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But does anyone use File history?
I like it and have used it from time to time, mostly just as an experiment.
The only problem being that, because for it to work properly the drive needs to be available all the time and as a consequence "previous versions" (where you get the restore capability) can fall victim to RansomWare. As a matter of fact, "previous versions" is a stated known target of such encryption type malware and gets hosed right along with the rest of your data.
Some very early iterations of such products ignored "previous versions" so I had some success, recovering victims files using that resource. Unfortunately the evil-doers caught on to that real quick.
As I see it that's the only drawback. As long as you can afford the disk space I say....... Go for it.

Reaction score
I use File History as well as Reflect. Have plenty of disk online all the time. It works OK but I wouldn't want it as my only backup.

Reaction score
I have never used File History before as I do daily backups of my files to a separate Storage computer on the network as well as an external drive which is only in use when I need it.System backups I do once a week using Acronis 2011. It has worked for me so far.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
It won't bother me at all if MS get rid of File History. I use it as a quick, convenient way of backing up "My Docs" to a thumb drive. In my opinion File History is better suited to a busy office environment. To me, It was just another back up safety net. I still perform regular disk images on 2 separate USB USB HDs with 2 separate programs, "Aomei and "Acronis

Ask a Question