SOLVED Backup fails error 0x80780166

Reaction score
I was able to create one successful backup and then all since have failed with the 0166 error. Another associated error is 0x8007001. On another site they said to disable all but MS services, which I did, to no avail. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions for resolving? This is a new PC that came with win 10 Home installed. It is VS 1511 and build 10586.420.

Reaction score
Do you have another location you can use for storing the backup such as an external drive or another partition on an existing drive?

On one thread I saw, deleting the older image aided in solving the problem. If you want to keep the image you have, rename the folder and move it to another location. You may then be able to finish the image backup on the clean location.

I cannot find the exact meaning of the error but another thread suggest checking the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) service to make sure it was running.

When you create the image, what partitions are you including. Normally the critical partitions are done so if you are adding any partitions you might try a backup without those.

Reaction score
I am using a separate HD for the backup. My VSS is currently stopped but it was running the other day. I am using msconfig and services to view it but I cannot restart it. The partitions are only the system ones. I found another site that was saying this is usually caused by registry problems. Any thoughts on that?

Reaction score
As far as the Registry, since I don't know exactly what the error code means I can't rule anything out.

I can start my VSS. Since you cannot start yours, perhaps it is corrupted or one of the things it depends on is not running. Open the Services dialog and go to the Volume Shadow Copy entry and right click so you can select properties.

Look at the dependencies tab and it shows the RPC which in turn depends on the DCOM and RPC Endpoint Mapper. Track down those items and see if they are running or can be started.

The Volume Shadow Copy service is the one which was involved in earlier situations where there was not enough room on some partitions for it to do its job. But the message for those situations would indicate that situation so this may be different.

Along the way you might open an Administrative command prompt and run the command below. Don't worry now if it shows a problem by try starting the VSS again after it finishes.

If you want to check for any SFC problems we can do that to confirm if some problematic file might be involved.

sfc /scannow

Reaction score
joker31
Did you by chance rename the original back up?
I would do as saltgrass suggested. That is, delete the old backup copy.
Make sure that VSS and Windows Backup are not "Disabled"
Press the Windows key + R (located between the Fn and Alt keys) in the run dialogue box type "services.msc" scroll down to VSS and Windows Backup and right click > Propeties and check the settings. Putting them both on automatic and starting wouldn't hurt at this point.
Good Luck

Reaction score
joker31,

What type of external device are you using to back up to? What is the interface? TCIP, USB, eSATA,.. ? What is the file system used on the device?

allan

Reaction score
I was able to create one successful backup and then all since have failed with the 0166 error. Another associated error is 0x8007001. On another site they said to disable all but MS services, which I did, to no avail. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions for resolving? This is a new PC that came with win 10 Home installed. It is VS 1511 and build 10586.420.

Yep I had the problem your missing one 0 from that error code (0x80070001) I checked the message error and mine failed bercause two files were missing in the c:\users\user\local\ppdata\onedrive\ files missing were actually folders Documents & Picture so I new foldered them named them documents and pictures and left them in that directory or there abouts and reran the backup sucessfully.
I hate the permissions issues with the backed up file. Cheers.

Reaction score
My problem was VSS not running. I searched for that problem and found a site that did a Net Stop VSS. So, I did a Net Start VSS and the back up completed successfully. Then I looked at this post and also set VSS and Back up to start automatically. Thanks!

Reaction score
just a correction is spelling as there seems to be no edit feature in this forum. Except the last post.

Yep I had the problem your missing one 0 from that error code (0x80070001) I checked the message error and mine failed because two files were missing in the c:\users\user\local\appdata\onedrive\ files missing were actually folders Documents & Picture so I new foldered them named them documents and pictures and left them in that directory and reran the backup successfully.
I hate the permissions issues with the backed up file. Cheers.

Reaction score
I got backup error code 0x80780166 when performing my first backup after re-partitioning the internal hard drive. I had ran Windows 7 backup prior to re-partitioning. I did exactly what was recommended by this thread and it worked. Thank you very much for this post!

Ask a Question