Backup Problem

Reaction score
Since my last upgrade a week ago or so I haven't been able to backup.
The backup process notes
"The last backup did not complete successfully"
and the following explanation is given

[Main Instruction]

Check your backup
[Content]

The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or the destination. If the source or destination volume is on a disk, run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume, and then retry the operation.

Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

[V] Show Details [Try to run backup again] [Change backup settings] [Cancel]

[Expanded Information]

Backup time: 6/18/2018 1:45 PM

Backup location: Richards Hard Drive (E:) (H:)

Error code: 0x8078012D

I have tried to run backup again a number of times but always the same.

Device manager says the E drive is performing as it should.
I have formatted my E drive to clear it but still have the same problem.

Can anyone help?

RichardK

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Are you using the "File History" Windows 10 backup? Also, did you try the suggestion to run "CHKDSK /R" on your drives? This utility is run from the command prompt/powershell console and will scan your drive for bad sectors and try to recover any information. It sounds like one of your drives has a problem, which is causing a read/write error and the backup to fail.

If you're unsure on how to run CHKDSK /R, let me know and I'll type up the full instructions for you :).

Cheers,
Ian

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply.
I am using the win 7 backup as in the control panel which I have done since I installed win10 some 2 years ago, however my notification panel often sends me messages saying my file history has been disconnected although the backup schedule was operating.
I have tried to run CHKDSK/R on drive E but the response has been the drive is not ready.
When Trying to run the CHDSK/R direct from the command prompt I get

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or
the disk may be locked by another process.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode
and make sure the disk is unlocked

Thanks
RichardK

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try running Command Prompt in Administrator Mode please? That should let you run CHKDSK :).

Here's an article on how to do that:
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/elevated-command-prompt.2/

Just as an aside - the command prompt still exists, but "Powershell" is the main console interface now. Command Prompt commands will still run in Powershell, and it's accessible by right clicking the start button and selecting "Windows PowerShell (Admin)".

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply.
I can get into command and have been able to run CHKDSK/R on my C drive but the backup is on my E drive, I am unable to get into my E drive, the response is "The drive is not ready". Have formatted but the same. Put the drive into my desktop and worked perfectly, able to get to it via the command prompt and also able to backup.
I ran the CHKDSK and it was all good.

Must admit I am lost.
Cheers
Richard

Reaction score
Put the drive into my desktop and worked perfectly, able to get to it via the command prompt and also able to backup.

Does that mean you have the drive in a laptop?? If so, can you try a different drive instead?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this a single disk in your laptop, partitioned in to multiple volumes (C & E drives)?

Do you know the make/model of the drive, and I'll see if I can find a link to the manufacturers error checking tools. If it's a I/O problem, I think there's a reasonable chance it's a problem with the drive (i.e. bad sectors).

Reaction score
Put the drive into my desktop and worked perfectly, able to get to it via the command prompt and also able to backup.

Ian, if it is the drive, it would show the same issue in his desktop. Since that seems to be not the case, I am thinking of faulty drive port or controller. That is why I asked if that happens with another drive as well

Reaction score
RichardK I'm a little confused, you mention Win 7 Backup and Restore and File History backups.
I have used File History and an External USB HD for images. Windows would give me regular notifications "Check your backup settings" I used to use Win 7 backup on a schedule and I believe that Windows looks at those settings when you use File History. I no longer use File History, or notifications to check backup settings since I stopped using File History. I now use a USB thumb drive and Macrium to make daily backups of of documents. I find Macrium much better than any MS backups. Macrium is scheduled to create a new full backup on the first Monday of the month, and then daily differential backups.

Reaction score
Is it possible the "Drive isn't ready" message could be because Windows 10 is shutting down the USB port the external drive is plugged into? Go into device manager and click on power management of USB ports. Make sure that USB port is not set to shut down to save power. It could be possible that Windows backup is not waking the USB port as it should be. I have Aomei for backups and have all my USB ports set to never go into power saving mode. I could be totally wrong here but it's something else to check.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian, if it is the drive, it would show the same issue in his desktop. Since that seems to be not the case, I am thinking of faulty drive port or controller. That is why I asked if that happens with another drive as well

Yep, you're right - I initially thought this was the internal drive with a separate partition, but if it's a USB drive and works on another PC, then it's not bad sectors etc...

Reaction score
I have to agree with @ram1220 the USB may not waking up or enabled.
I usually eject my USB after its daily diff backup. When I used File History backup, If I forgot to unlock/open the USB (Bitlocker protected) before the next scheduled backup I would receive a Windows 7 Backup notification something like "The last backup did not complete successfully "Check Backup settings"

Reaction score
Hi All
Thanks for your responses, I'll try to reply to them, please bear in mind by no means do I understand any but the basics of computer diagnosis.

The computer is an MSI CX612QF laptop core I7.
The drive is a Toshiba 2TB portable hard drive Model DT8520 P/N HDTB320AK3CA FAC:F A and is configured as drive E

I used another drive yesterday, it operated fine on the LT, I was able to access drive E on the command prompt and set the backup process in operation, the backup failed with the same remarks as above and now I am unable to get into it via command prompt with the same message "The drive is not ready".
I ran Chkdsk on both my drives in the PC and both were OK with no errors.

With the backup I have also requested " create system image" .
The current failure notice is
[Window Title]
Windows Backup: Troubleshooting Options

[Main Instruction]
Check your backup

[Content]
There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.
Details: The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation.

[V] Show Details [Try to run backup again] [Change backup settings] [Cancel]

[Expanded Information]
Backup time: 6/19/2018 6:26 PM
Backup location: The backup location cannot be found.
Error code: 0x807800C5

Device manager does not list power management files could this be a missing file?

Norton, your last message "the last backup did not complete successfully "Check Backup settings" is what I have had for some time I checked my settings and thought they were OK so did not understand it and the backups were completing so I let it go.

Once again thanks for your assistance I hope you are able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers
RichardK

Reaction score
Are you using Windows 7 backup and File History? If so I would abandon both, Win 7 Backup has limitations and is slow, File History is flaky, I stopped using it when I noticed it seemed to be skipping backing up certain files.
There are many 3rd party backup programs (free) and work well for the money. Two that I use regularly are Macrium Reflect and Aomei Backupper. I like Macrium, it can be scheduled to run daily, weekly, or monthly backup images on CD's DVD's USB Thumb drives or external USB HD. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
The Device Manager does show Power Management if you go to the right places. Go into Device Manager and then click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Then right click on each entry and left click on Properties. Then left click on the tab that says Power Management. (Not all entries will have a Power Management tab) Then make sure to deselect the check mark next to Allow The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power. Then click the OK tab at the bottom of that screen.

Ask a Question