Bad update.

Reaction score
Is there any chance for me at all, after a bad update. I have no backup. Laptop opens to desktop but I can't get into anything from there. It's also an ultrabook so no optical drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Laptop opens to desktop but I can't get into anything from there
Can you right click the taskbar and choose "Task Manager"?
OR
Can you use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys on your keyboard in combination to choose "Task Manager"?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well..... unfortunately IF your computer boots to desktop and then apparently is frozen it doesn't leave you with a lot of options.
My first suggestion would be to acquire some backup software that you can use to boot the system and back up your data with their rescue disk (USB or Optical media)
You should be able to acquire a USB external optical drive that you can use for that purpose at a reasonable cost.
I made a list of potential options here https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

After you secure your critical data then you will need to acquire the installation media and use that to boot your system and see if you might be able to use some of the Advanced Troubleshooting Options to perform a System Restore.
IF not then you can use that to perform a new installl of Windows 10 and restore from your backup.

OF course you will need a second working computer to perform those tasks.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble I will re read all that again and see if I can get somewhere with it.

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble for your advice. As you can gather I'm not very technically minded, but.
1. I don't need to back up data, nothing on the laptop is of any importance, I just need to get the op system working or in this case hopefully reinstalled.
2. I burnt a Win 10 iso onto a usb drive earlier last year. I may not have used the laptop to do this, it could have been via my desktop, does this matter what machine it was created on, I'm hoping the laptop is 64bit the same as the desktop. Is there any way I can check this in the BIOS first of all?
3. I have managed to get into the BIOS on the laptop in the hope I could check first of all that it would boot from a USB. But not sure what I'm looking at here in the BIOS.

In the Boot Section
Boot Configuration
Fast Boot [Enabled]
Launch CSM [Disabled]
Driver Options Priorities
Boot Option Priorities
Boot Option #1 [Windows Boot Manage....]
Add New Boot Option
Delete Boot Option

Can anyone please explain to me if this means it will boot or not from a usb or in very easy steps how to change it to do so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes it should.
Since it is looking for "Windows Boot Manager" I suspect that it is likely UEFI rather than Legacy BIOS, so you'll need to prepare your USB thumb drive for that.
First .... don't mess with an ISO that you acquired a year ago.
IF you have a second working computer Get it from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Use the media creation tool as described under the area labeled "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC"
Once you have the ISO, use
Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/
and configured it to boot UEFI / GPT as shown here

Rufus.JPG

It's likely that the computer is 64bit capable and ....
AS far as booting to the USB, there is likely a F_Key that you can use when you power on the system to evoke the "One Time Boot Menu"
You may have to do a little research to find out what it is.
On a lot of HP computers it's the Esc key, on a lot of Dells and some others it's F12

The ISO that you download will work to install Windows 10 (Home and or Pro) so you need to known which was installed on your computer previously, so you don't run into any issues when it comes to activation time.
Other than that, when you get to the part that asks for a "Product Key" just click the link that says "I don have one" and proceed. Once the install is complete and you're connected to the internet it will activate on its' own.

Reaction score
You can't type anything in the search box, such as settings? The Winkey+x does nothing?

What color is the Desktop?

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble and Saltgrass.
The desktop comes up normally with the normal backdrop and some icons on it as before.
Win + X doesn't work. I can type in Settings but all that opens is the Settings page but nothing on it. Also All Settings in the notification area, everything is greyed out.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble for the excellent explanation of the procedure.
When I go to download the windows 10 ISO from Microsoft do I download it to the PC first or straight to the USB?
From there I understand I need to use the Rufus tool to configure the USB to boot correctly.
The One Time Boot Menu appears to be by using the Escape key for this Asus Laptop as you suggested it might be.
Many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can download the ISO anywhere you want.....
Except on the thumb drive you intend to boot from.
When you configure Rufus it will automatically eradicate anything that is on that thumb drive.

Reaction score
Before I attempt reinstalling windows I have been reading up a bit more about it just to prepare myself for anything that might 'throw me' during the process.

I read this ..... “Which type of installation do you want?” screen. Select the “Custom” option to ensure you’re performing a clean install and not an upgrade install.

(I presume I will be doing a clean install. The laptop was previously win 8 and I took up the offer from Microsoft to upgrade to win 10 when they offered it and did it successfully so the laptop has been running win 10). So it will be a clean install?

I am on a very slow internet connection speed so I'm not sure how long the download of the fresh ISO will take me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I read this ..... “Which type of installation do you want?” screen. Select the “Custom” option to ensure you’re performing a clean install and not an upgrade install.
You cannot really do an "upgrade" as in an "in-place upgrade" if you boot from the installation media.
It will just tell you to boot to the OS and run setup from there, so.....
Yes you will be doing a custom install on the same partition as Windows is currently using.
When you select that location during the install process it should tell you that it will be putting everything that exists there into something called Windows.OLD, which is actually a good thing.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Trouble for your patience and advice. Pleased to report the download of the ISO took about six hours but the actual installation only about three, I was expecting a lot longer. Another surprise all my documents and pictures came back.
You mentioned the Windows OLD folder, I understand that gets removed after about a month. Do I have to do anything with it before then?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You mentioned the Windows OLD folder, I understand that gets removed after about a month. Do I have to do anything with it before then?
Just be patient and take your time in examining it to see if it contains any files, folders downloads, music, pictures, etc., that you would want to move over into their appropriate containers in you current profile folder.

Ask a Question