BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO on every startup

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 Educational on my custom build desktop. My desktop is currently 3 months old or something. And in the beginning I only had the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO blue screen occasionally. Like only once a week when I booted my desktop. But now it's starting to happen every single time I start my pc. So the blue screen comes, then it just processes it till 100%, restarts and everything is fine.

It's getting really annoying and I don't know how to fix this.

My specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K Boxed @3.50 GHz
Memory: 16.00 GB (Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13R)

Reaction score
I have see situations where the bios would throw a message about a configuration problem and just entering the bios setup will normally correct that, but I have not seen such a message from Windows.

Maybe a detailed description of how your system is set up will help us see a problem. How did you install Windows 10, UEFI or MBR. Possibly some device has a bad driver or one which is not installed.

Check the Device Manager to see if anything shows with a yellow mark. Check the Event Viewer to see if you are seeing repeating Error or Warning messages.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That error usually suggests that there is a problem loading the "System" hive of the registry.
Not at all sure why it would then go ahead and load and run OK after a restart.
I'd recommend backing up all your critical data and creating a disk image of your hard drive.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
THEN....
You might try the native System File checker by opening an elevated command prompt
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and let it run
See if it produces any information
I'd also use the native Check Disk utility to see if there is a problem with your system drive.
Same admin command prompt type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer "Y" when prompted and reboot
Let it run and do not interrupt it. It can take a long time to complete and it will automatically reboot your system when it is done. You can then inspect the results in Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application Logs -> do a search for chkdsk
If neither of those seem to help with the issue you might want to try to perform and in-place upgrade repair. That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media. Just be sure to check the little box to get updates as part of the upgrade process.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still create a disk image before going forward.

Installation media can be obtained here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

If you already have the ISO you can simply mount it from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Reaction score
I had a similar thing with Win2000 on a 1999 vintage Dell laptop. The similar message was caused by the CMOS battery being nearly flat, replacing that solved the problem. I realize you machine is new but it might be worth just removing and replacing the battery as it may just be a dirty connection. The fact that it comes up and runs may be a clue....my dell did as well.

Reaction score
Yes. What Tim said. I have seen the same thing on systems that I have worked on.

Ask a Question