SOLVED Beating a dead horse with a driver

Bif

Reaction score
Hello good people!..it's been awhile, life has been keeping me away from technology for a a bit now and after about a month I dusted off the old HP laptop and booted her up. Not surprisingly there were a whole host of updates patiently waiting to wreck havoc on my pc, although all installed fine and all I'm now having the dreaded Realtek WiFi problem that is all the fashion I've read.
I've done my due diligence of uninstalling the driver via Device Manager and rebooting but the issue is still there...
The issue being, WiFi no longer connects automatically and when connected quickly at random loses connectivity. I've also run the troubleshooting thingy and it tells me that "this device is working properly"
Also ran "update driver" and the MS gods inform me that the best driver is already installed of course.
Have I run out of luck finally with my old relic? has MS finally won the battle?
Any suggestions?
Cheers in advance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you use device manager to open the properties window for your problem adapter
THEN
Use the details tab of that and change the drop down to HardwareID and copy and paste that information into a post??
Should look something like this only different as yours will be specific for your device

PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_10
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&SUBSYS_E0001458
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&CC_0200

Bif

Reaction score
Can you use device manager to open the properties window for your problem adapter
THEN
Use the details tab of that and change the drop down to HardwareID and copy and paste that information into a post??
Should look something like this only different as yours will be specific for your device

PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_10
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&SUBSYS_E0001458
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_E091&CC_0200
Hi Trouble, thanks for the speedy response, I've done as you requested and here's the info..
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_1629103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_1629103C
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&CC_0280

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n which seems rather obscure. I looked on Realtek's site and couldn't find that particular one mentioned.
It might be that it's specific to HP, not sure.
Check their (HP's) site and see what they have available, even rolling back to an earlier driver might help with the problem.
I also checked Microsoft and they have a Windows 8 Driver dating back to 2013 which might actually be worth a try
The slightly larger file is for 64 bit systems the smaller one is for 32 (x86) bit systems.

Otherwise you may find that you're going to need to update your hardware with something like this
OR
IF you don't mind going with a Refurb of the same product

Reaction score
On the Realtek site I did find an 8188EE which may not work on a CE. If you download it and it does not install, see if you can unpack it and run just the .inf file. I did have to set the website to English..

I have noticed on several Wi-Fi adapter driver sites there are differences in drivers for Win 10 1803 and later. But folks are having connectivity on many different systems which seem to be related to dropped connections. Some of the Dell systems running Killer Wireless devices are having the problem but I am testing the same device on my system and it does not seem to show such a problem. I was wondering if it is related to some type of software designed to maintain or renew a connection when necessary.

You might try runnig a WLAN report and see if it exposes a problem. Keep track where it places the report and copy it to the Desktop to open. As normal, use an admin command prompt and the command below. It seems these reports are not populated immediately so give it some time after you have the problem and keep track of the time.

netsh wlan show wlanreport

Bif

Reaction score
Thank you both for the great suggestions, will try them all in order and post back results..good,bad or other.

Bif

Reaction score
Update,
I uninstalled my driver twice and rebooted and all appears to be connecting as it did before..??
Oddly I didn't even have the option to rollback the driver that's installed.
I will keep all suggestions in mind for future catastrophes if they should occur.
Thanks gents again!
Marked as solved

Ask a Question