SOLVED Before I Intrude

Reaction score
I must ask.

Is this forum (Windows Insider) for the pro user OR can it simply be educational for a casual user.

Reaction score
It is for anyone who wishes. to give, or seek, windows 10 help, or merely discussion, regarding the insider builds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A bit of history, Windows 10 Insider Preview began as the Technical Preview and changed over time, now has a Slow Ring, Fast Ring, Skip Ahead versions and maybe more such as Prerelease. The terms BETA and test builds apply which always carry the implication there will be problems, I've been on the Fast Ring from the beginning. As was warned 'back then', best to not use these Versions and Builds on an only machine or production machine, I use 2 rather old Dell Desktops for mine [OptiPlex 755 and Inspiron 530S].

Reaction score
I just signed up. My only concern being that I have limited computer skills. I read what is posted here about wiping clean, rebuilding, etc and I become doubtful. All I need is a build update that I need to recover from and don't know how. I guess I won't know without trying.

PS: I just revisited what I did to signup and it seems that I might have been automatically restricted - the notice read "only one level is available for your branch".

Attachments

• Capture MS Insider.PNG
    Capture MS Insider.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Reaction score
That only means that you will get the current, so-called stable builds, but not the builds still at the testing phase.
But, no rudeness intended. As you say you have limited skills, I think you might be jumping into deep water with any insider builds.

Reaction score
That only means that you will get the current, so-called stable builds, but not the builds still at the testing phase.
But, no rudeness intended. As you say you have limited skills, I think you might be jumping into deep water with any insider builds.
That's not rude at all. "Deep water" was my concern. I'll limit my activity to the older computer. Maybe that will help avoid distress.

When a build does become available I am assuming that I have an option to NOT INSTALL.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When a build does become available I am assuming that I have an option to NOT INSTALL.
Nope.... when you run Windows Update manually or when it runs automatically the Insider Build that is available at that time will be downloaded and installed on that computer.

ON the upside...
The "Release Preview Ring" is a good choice.
That particular ring only gets an update after all three advanced Rings (Skip Ahead, Fast and Slow) have had that build for a reasonable period of time.
There probably won't even be a build available on that Ring for the current Insider Preview for quite some time so don't expect much activity anytime soon with that as your choice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is time to either sink or swim. I just came back to my computer and found that it is installing 1809. Now at 8%.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That would seem to make sense if the machine involved had been running 1803, since 1809 was released to the "Release Preview" Ring a few weeks back, prior to them making the ISO generally available.

After that installs (and good luck by the way) you might want to then manually check Windows Update again.
There is likely another update for the version that is currently downloading and installing to bring it up to date with everyone else.

Reaction score
Well, after a bit of frustration, I am up and running with 1809 installed. I don't know if this was an 1809 (or even Windows) issue but when the install completed and did the restart, I had no connection to the internet. I restarted the router two or three times with no change. Then I shut down completely, went out to the shop to check the other computer (an older Dell). It came right up.

Came back in and shut the entire system down (modem excluded). I am now up and running.

An addendum: I did recheck for updates and there were four more - all installed.

In looks as though my first jump into "deep waters" was not so bad.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In looks as though my first jump into "deep waters" was not so bad.
Good job. Glad you worked through it.
As far as the network issue, it could have been any number of things, but most likely just Windows sorting out a driver issue for your network adapter.

Reaction score
Good job. Glad you worked through it.
As far as the network issue, it could have been any number of things, but most likely just Windows sorting out a driver issue for your network adapter.

Thanks for the encouragement. Whatever it was seems to be resolved. I have shut down three times since the update and all seems well. I do see some unusual activity with my excel and word files that I can not explain yet. I think I can work through those though.

Ask a Question