BIOS & CPU Firmware update due to Spectre

Reaction score
According to the inSpectre unity I need to update my BIOS & CPU Firmware.
I have the Gigabyte GA-Z17OXP-SLI motherboard, but i have read warning about the dangers of updating the BIOS.
Would you update it or live with the danger of Spectre?

If I need to update it any tips please?
Barry

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Barry,

There are minor risks associated with updating the BIOS - i.e. if the update goes awry, then the motherboard may be unusable. Power cuts or crashes are the main causes of the BIOS update failing part way through, causing corruption.

I've had a look at the BIOS updates for that motherboard and there are some useful vulnerability fixes listed. If this were my motherboard, I'd update the BIOS :). I think the risks of a BIOS update failing are pretty low nowadays, as long as you've got a stable power supply and flash the correct image. There is a slight chance that BIOS updates could render your motherboard unusable, but I think it's pretty low as long as sensible precautions are taken.

Reaction score
There's littler risk nowadays to updating the bios. The UEFI actually makes it rather easy. The biggest risks are making sure you have the correct bios for your motherboard, and power getting cut in the middle of flashing it.

Reaction score
OK, many thanks Ian & BigFeet.
I have found version F22f, but when i try to run it it tells me it is 16 bit not 64 bit as required.
I have double checked to make sure I am selecting 64 bit, but only get 16 bit, Any thoughts?
Barry

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just tried running the BIOS app flash from v. F22 and get the same error - that's pretty silly of them to include a flash app that won't run on almost any system!

I think you may be able to copy the firmware file (ending in .22c) to a USB drive and then flash it by entering the BIOS on boot and using the QFLASH utility. There's a video tutorial on this here (although I've not watched it fully to confirm):

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, I think I might be getting out of my depth on this, i will watch and hope the correct the BIOS app.
Barry

Ask a Question