Black flashy screen

Reaction score
So I get this black screen that flash to a dark grey constantly. Can't access to the desktop normally. I can use the task manager, but nothing else.
I updated the driver, use sfc /scannow, uninstall and even repair the very few program I had, still nothing. I'm lost...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks to be something is crashing the Windows Explorer shell.
Try booting the machine in Safe Mode and see if it does the same thing, if that seems to resolve the issue......
Then try Safe Mode with Networking and see how that performs, if that seems to work OK, then.....
You'll need to determine if it is a Startup condition involving a third party software product's service, process or even a software driver.
For that you can use Safe Mode to configure the machine to perform a Clean Boot.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
I reinstall windows without installing anything else except the updates and got the same result. So it would seemed it's windows 10 first update that is the cause.

Reaction score
I started the computer in safe mode and after in safe mode with networking. All worked except there is a white box that pops-up "You need a new app to open this ms-get-started". There is a small grey box with "ok" inside, but I can't click it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure but I think I'm gonna go with, glass half full.
but I can't click it
Not sure if that has any particular significance with respect to the initial problem of flashing screen / crashing explorer.
IT probably relates more to what you use to do your "clicking"

Safe Mode loads only generic drivers and Safe Mode with Networking loads the same and throws in a couple network drivers.
If your pointing device is not pretty generic (wired USB) it may or may not work.
Like say for instance, it is Bluetooth or RF wireless..... Safe Mode may not have anything native that supports it.

The next step, as I mentioned above is to perform a Clean Boot of the system.
IF the screens goes back to flickering again, I think it would be safe to assume a hardware driver is at fault and I'd start with your video driver and use.....
DDU to remove it from Safe Mode.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=796
OR
Get it directly from here http://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v17.0.6.5.exe

Ask a Question