Black screen and WAIT during bootup

Reaction score
For two years I have had three hard drives installed. One small one went bad and at bootup I would get that information with "Press F1 to resume" which I would do and then windows would load. I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 three weeks ago, same message, and no problem, as it would still go right into windows. Last week I noticed windows update had a list of important updates. I believe I also had an nvideo GeForce driver update which I am sure I did first without problems.
When I did the windows updates and had to restart, I noticed I had a slightly different look but it still took me to the same press F1 to resume. However, the result was it went to a totally black screen with a tiny band of the new windows blue across the top and in the middle of the screen it said WAIT, not in windows type but in the same script when you first begin booting computer. It just remained there and there was no activity taking place, no blinking red light or solid red light like my computer always does. After at least 20 minutes of no activity I rebooted with the same result. Repeating the F1 kept giving the same result, and further reboots and then the F1 caused the computer to reboot maybe 2 out of 5 tries instead of directly going to the black screen. At one point I quickly saw something where I believe it askd to press tab or possibly delete and then gave an option to press F1 or F2. I am not sure which I pressed but it did go into windows and everything was fine for the rest of the day. I let my computer on but at some point overnight it had rebooted and back to the press F1 to resume which results in back to the black screen WAIT and this is where I am at again (I am using a different computer to send this). Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically the F1 to resume and F2 to enter "Setup" is a product of something having changed in the system BIOS or a dead CMOS Battery.
You may want to use the F2 option and first check the system Date and Time to insure you don't have a dead battery, if it keeps reverting to an old date, then you need to replace the battery.
Second examine your boot order priority, if you've swapped out or added a hard drive as you've indicated, perhaps your boot priority needs to be adjusted to reflect that change. Choose the hard drive where windows is installed.

Ask a Question