SOLVED Black screen everytime windows 10 updates on my laptop

Reaction score
what can I do to fix, I am tired of wiping everything. The laptop is a week old so its not many files I have to redownload but its ridiculous. Is there a way I can just not update if this is gonna keep happening?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I am tired of wiping everything
The first thing you might consider is planning in advance a robust backup strategy including a disk image so you can recover to a viable state in the event that this keeps happening.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Is there a way I can just not update
No not really, there are techniques you can use, such as setting your internet connection to a "Metered connection" which may limit some of the updates but not all of them.

Ideally you will want to determine what is causing the "Black Screen", often it is a driver problem, possibly a video driver, that is being installed during the update and sometimes......
Booting the system from the installation media and using that Recovery Environment to use "Startup Settings" to restart the computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking will allow you to use Device Manager to uninstall the driver and reboot the system normally.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The first thing you might consider is planning in advance a robust backup strategy including a disk image so you can recover to a viable state in the event that this keeps happening.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

No not really, there are techniques you can use, such as setting your internet connection to a "Metered connection" which may limit some of the updates but not all of them.

Ideally you will want to determine what is causing the "Black Screen", often it is a driver problem, possibly a video driver, that is being installed during the update and sometimes......
Booting the system from the installation media and using that Recovery Environment to use "Startup Settings" to restart the computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking will allow you to use Device Manager to uninstall the driver and reboot the system normally.
Thank you for the info, it is appreciated!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some of these updates are unusually large, this most recent one was almost a gig and took a while to download, then took a while to install, then took a while before everything settled down enough to actually be able to use the computer.
Case in point.....
I got a call this morning, from a guy who owns a couple computer repair shops, who I do some contract work for every once in a while.
He had gone to a customers place of business (clinic / physicians office) to install a printer. Nothing to that, simple, everyday task, however.....
During the reboot he reported seeing the update being applied.....
When he called me, he reported a black screen with a cursor and no desktop or taskbar.
I told him to observe the hard disk activity by launching task manger and using the performance tab to launch Resource Monitor.
He reported intense disk activity.
I told him to leave it sit and do nothing.
Sometimes that is very hard to do, especially if your a computer repair tech.

In the end, he phoned back and reported that the desktop, icons and taskbar had finally loaded.
I told him to leave it idle if possible for the next hour or so, because it was likely still sorting things out in the background and would likely behave sluggishly for a while until completely finished.

I'm not sure I like this whole new "Windows as a Service" deployment concept, which brings some pretty big cumulative updates monthly if not more often and twice a year gigantic new version builds with added features and functions.
I'd personally hate to be paying for my data in chunks. Some people are finding it very expensive to maintain their data limits.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Black screen everytime windows 10 updates on my laptop
Was just reading this in reference to the latest update
it also packed a little surprise for some users. Some Windows 10 users running HP devices are running into an issue resulting in a long delay during login after the upgrade process. Once the update is installed, users are seeing a black screen for up to 10 minutes before they can access the actual login screen.
SOURCE: https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-update-causes-hp-login-lag-heres-the-fix/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @Trouble,

I have an HP Compaq Presario but don't have any problem with a long delay at start-up or any black screen!. (Just thought I would let people know!). :)

Ask a Question