blue screen of death

Reaction score
after running perfectly the previous night. i turned my computer on in the morning, and got the message - your computer has run into a problem and needs to restart. we're just collecting some error info and then we'll restart. it then got stuck in a loop of re-booting, these are some of the error messages that i got.
kmode_exception_not handled
critical_process_died
memory_management
DPC_watchdog_violation
kernel_security_check_failure
bad_pool_header
when i do manage to get to my desktop, nothing works, if i press the windows key (start button) it just goes back to the blue screen of death, so i cant try to restore, check hard ware or manage to do anything to check my problem, any suggestins??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Without seeing the actual dump files, I'm not sure there is anything anyone might suggest that might help, except to say.
Do your best to determine that all your hardware drivers are current and up to date.
Check with your computer and or motherboard manufacturer to make sure you are running the latest firmware (BIOS) update.
Test your hard drive to see if there are any issues
Launch an elevated command prompt right click the Start Button (Windows Logo, bottom left of screen on taskbar) and select Command Prompt (Admin), and in the command prompt Windows type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter and answer Yes “Y” when prompted and reboot.
This will likely take a long time depending on the size of the disk and to some extent its’ contents, do not interrupt it. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Right click the start button again and select Event Viewer from the context menu) expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter. Check near the bottom of the report for anything indicating KBs in bad sectors.
Test your memory.
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
AND
IF you are currently overclocking anything (CPU, Memory, GPU) return settings to nominal defaults.

Reaction score
after running perfectly the previous night. i turned my computer on in the morning, and got the message - your computer has run into a problem and needs to restart. we're just collecting some error info and then we'll restart. it then got stuck in a loop of re-booting, these are some of the error messages that i got.
kmode_exception_not handled
critical_process_died
memory_management
DPC_watchdog_violation
kernel_security_check_failure
bad_pool_header
when i do manage to get to my desktop, nothing works, if i press the windows key (start button) it just goes back to the blue screen of death, so i cant try to restore, check hard ware or manage to do anything to check my problem, any suggestins??
Without seeing the actual dump files, I'm not sure there is anything anyone might suggest that might help, except to say.
Do your best to determine that all your hardware drivers are current and up to date.
Check with your computer and or motherboard manufacturer to make sure you are running the latest firmware
Check with your computer and or motherboard manufacturer to make sure you are running the latest firmware (BIOS) update.

Test your memory.

AND
IF you are currently overclocking anything (CPU, Memory, GPU) return settings to nominal defaults.

Test your memory.

AND

(BIOS) update.

Test your memory.

AND

Reaction score
i am actually locked out of the machine, even if i make it to the desk top as soon as i click on anything, it just goes directly back to the blue screen of death, it wont start in safe mode either, or go to the advanced start up , absolutely nothing is working

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So...... you may have to get creative.
Remove the hard drive and attach it to another computer and Check Disk it.
You don't need it to boot to test the memory with memtest86+
Some mother board manufacturers provide OS independent utilities to update the system BIOS if that is necessary. You'd have to check with the manufacturer.
Resetting any overclocks if present would just require booting into the BIOS and setting system defaults.

Ask a Question