Boot problem Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday I opened Windows 7 iso file in my Windows 10 operating system, and pressed 'Install now', I immediatly cancel the operation, and a new partition showed up next to C: drive, I knew nothing about system partition yesterday and I though Windows 7 installation reserved it, so I erased the 2 folders that had inside (EFI and Boot). But the partition still existed, so I restarted the PC and now shows: "Reboot and select proper boot device" (Windows 10 no longer boots).

I tried to fix it with Windows 10 USB iso's troubleshoot and everything failed, so I tried using the Command prompt tool but couldn't do much with it.

I would really appreciate if you help me to recreate the partitions / bcd / msr or whatever I need to restore my Windows 10 OS

PS. sorry for my bad english

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try booting from the windows 10 installation media and see if you can use bootrec.exe to fix it
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. From there select Command Prompt and type
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

See if that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. I found that information in a tutorial when trying to fix the problem, everything works except the "bootrec /rebuildbcd", it finds the installation of my Windows ( C:\Windows ) but it says "The requested system device cannot be found"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I was hoping that, that might work for you.
It may be related to the fact that you have a UEFI BIOS and a GPT hard disk and the folders and files you deleted are critical booting into the Windows Boot Manager.
At this point your best bet might be to copy of your profile folder C:\Users\YourUserName to external media (from the command prompt), to secure all or most of your critical data, I'm not sure how you would go about recovering the contents of that partition.
I don't suppose you have a disk image?

Reaction score
I don't have a disk image :/ I've deleted the partitions using DISKPART and recreated system partition + EFI boot, now when I try to inicializate Windows 10 it comes a new error that says INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

It is a pain in my head, I guess I will copy the critical data as you say.

One question (because when I tried to reinstall Windows 10 it gives an error), how should I reinstall it, should I format all the data and try again?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when I tried to reinstall Windows 10 it gives an error
What does the error say?
IF it's UEFI / GPT the boot media will need to be configured to install to that.
I typically create my boot media from the ISO by using Rufus and for UEFI / GPT you need to do it this way

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
Since we don't really know the configuration of your hard drive, it is hard to suggest options.

A UEFI install needs a EFI system partition for the boot files. If you recreated it using Diskpart, you may be able to use the bcdboot c:\Windows command to replace the boot files if necessary. The directory used in the command should be the one for Windows 8. The bootrec /rebuildBCD should have worked under certain conditions, but it may not have the basic file to rebuild.

But a UEFI system normally boots to a "Windows Boot Manger" which should be listed as one of the boot device options.

If you can get into a command prompt, you might open Diskpart and then select the drive you need to check and then list the partitions. If you let us know the order of partitions, it might help. Select Disk 0 assumes there is only one hard drive on the system. If there are more than one drive listed, pick the number of your boot drive.

Diskpart
lis vol
lis dis
sel dis 0
list par
exit

If you want to know what partition letters go with which partitions use the Diskpart command list volume or lis vol

Ask a Question