SOLVED Bottom bar does not work.

Reaction score
My bottom bar on my desk top will not let me click on any of the icons. I have repair programs, but they don't open. I can get online using the icon on the home page, but the start menu won't open either. Any suggestions? My desk top was on both DSL and Wi-Fi, earlier I unplugged the DSL. It was working fine then, but then stopped. I tried rebooting, but that din't have any effect. Everything else seems to work.

Reaction score
I just noticed that the clock on the bar has also stopped. In addition, all my saved logins seem to be gone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've rebooted three times. The only change was That the clock advanced to the correct time and then stopped. I can't get the start menu to come up, so I have to shut the computer off to reboot.

Reaction score
I don't think it's a battery failure on a desktop. The Windows 10 was updated not too long ago. It's hard to check on things when the startup menu won't come up. When I turned it on this morning, most of the bottom bar icons were gone. another reboot did bring them back up. It's tougher to figure out when I don't have access to any of the computer info.

Reaction score
Everything else seems to work fine. Just the bottom bar doesn't. I can get online using the icon on the home page, and navigation from the top bar works as usual. The clock resets to the correct time every time I reboot. I noticed that a couple of times when it came back on, it wanted me to use the F1 key to boot up.

Reaction score
Are you using the latest version of Win 10?, updating is not the same as "Upgrading"!. ;)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I don't think it's a battery failure on a desktop.
The battery is on the mobo = mother board or main board. It's a shiny silver looking quarter size battery.

As davehc correctly pointed out, those are symptoms of the CMOS battery dyeing.

. I noticed that a couple of times when it came back on, it wanted me to use the F1 key to boot up.
That's telling you to go in the BIOS and check the date and time stamp to make sure it's right.

This first thing I'd do is change the CMOS battery, then boot to BIOS, go into BIOS and reset the date and time stamp.

Reaction score
The battery is on the mobo = mother board or main board. It's a shiny silver looking quarter size battery.

As davehc correctly pointed out, those are symptoms of the CMOS battery dyeing.

That's telling you to go in the BIOS and check the date and time stamp to make sure it's right.

This first thing I'd do is change the CMOS battery, then boot to BIOS, go into BIOS and reset the date and time stamp.
Be aware that I have virtually no skill at messing with the insides of a computer. I try to stay away from messing with it. But I will see what I can do.

Reaction score
Hi Amadeus51,

press the Windows logo key +r and then type "winver" and paste the results please. The latest version is 2009 (20H2). :)

Is it a full size computer or laptop?. Your systems specs might also help?. ;)

1606984041583.png

Reaction score
I have rebooted and then booted up, now the bar is working again, so something worked. I intend to open the computer up in the next couple of days and clean the dust out. I will see if I can find that battery. I also had some noise inside that I think was a fan going bad, so I can check on that as well. Thanks for all the advice. Every time I come here I learn new things. Much cheaper than taking a course.

Reaction score
The battery is held down by a sprung tung of metal. If you do examine it, you may find it is loose and intermittent - hence your ups and downs.

Ask a Question