SOLVED boxes no closing after copy or move data

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Can anyone please tell me why this is happening when i try to move or copy a lot of data from one hard drive to another, I am using the latest windows 10 and updated, the box's do eventually go but some time could be 5 minutes

Attachments

• 2021-01-12_18-54-20 craig.png
    2021-01-12_18-54-20 craig.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

your system specs would help, do you have an SSD or HDD, how much RAM, what CPU speed?. :)

Reaction score
You snip shpw 13 running actions. Are you doing this one by one? If so, then that could possibly be the reason. And if so, try selecting them all and copying the whole lot over at once.
You could also try altering your graphic selctions in file explorer - Icon size, thumbnails..etc. When copying, these are all reproduced in the destination, and can take a while.

Reaction score
You snip shpw 13 running actions. Are you doing this one by one? If so, then that could possibly be the reason. And if so, try selecting them all and copying the whole lot over at once.
You could also try altering your graphic selctions in file explorer - Icon size, thumbnails..etc. When copying, these are all reproduced in the destination, and can take a while.
Hi Dave

I am not very good on pc tech stuff, how do i change these in file explorer, Cheers

Reaction score
The first. In File Explorer, when you are wanting to copy, mark them ALL with the left click, but keep holding the mouse button down until complete. Then release that mouse button and RIGHT click the marked files. Then you can select the option to Copy to folder: Move to folder, or - Right click and drag them to where you need them. I have found, in Windows 10, the last option is sometimes erratic. Best choice is moving to a folder, or just copy and then, in the destination, paste.

The graphics ussue. In Windows explorer, select. On the far right, select "Options and in the drop down menu select "Change folder---etc.
This will lead to another dop down menu. Here, select View again. select "show icons,never thumbnails." In the top, clcik apply to all folders.
Click OK. See if anything has improved. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi davehc

Thanks for info ,it seems to be a bit better will give good test later

Can you please tell me how to read a folder and convert to notepad file, Thanks again

Reaction score
The first. In File Explorer, when you are wanting to copy, mark them ALL with the left click, but keep holding the mouse button down until complete. Then release that mouse button and RIGHT click the marked files. Then you can select the option to Copy to folder: Move to folder, or - Right click and drag them to where you need them. I have found, in Windows 10, the last option is sometimes erratic. Best choice is moving to a folder, or just copy and then, in the destination, paste.

The graphics ussue. In Windows explorer, select. On the far right, select "Options and in the drop down menu select "Change folder---etc.
This will lead to another dop down menu. Here, select View again. select "show icons,never thumbnails." In the top, clcik apply to all folders.
Click OK. See if anything has improved. :rolleyes:
Hi davehc

Thanks for info ,it seems to be a bit better will give good test later

Can you please tell me how to read a folder and convert to notepad file, Thanks again

Reaction score
Notepad is becoming rather redundant. If you do not have a full word processor, I would reccomend you ysu Wordpd (Called "Write") in Windows explorer.
However. Assuming thr context of you folder is all text. As before, Outline the whole thing and then " copy" from the right click.
Open Notepad. You will find it near the bottom of the start menu, under the folder "Windows Accessories"
Click into the empty page and then right click and paste. Go to the bottom of the page and "Save as". Selct a suitable destination and also make sure it is being saved as .txt.

Reaction score
Notepad is becoming rather redundant. If you do not have a full word processor, I would reccomend you ysu Wordpd (Called "Write") in Windows explorer.
However. Assuming thr context of you folder is all text. As before, Outline the whole thing and then " copy" from the right click.
Open Notepad. You will find it near the bottom of the start menu, under the folder "Windows Accessories"
Click into the empty page and then right click and paste. Go to the bottom of the page and "Save as". Selct a suitable destination and also make sure it is being saved as .txt.
Hi Dave

Can't find wordpad on my pc, done a search bottom left of screen and it then comes up, have opened it and created a file and saved it to desktop, when i reopen it it open in microsoft word is that correct , cheers

Reaction score
Yes. OK. If you only want it to open in Notepad, you must specify that in the options. But, if, as I now understand, your have office installed, better to go on using that,

Ask a Question