Bring back ( Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable )

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me How to Bring back ( Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable ) in Power Management/Change Advanced Power Settings.
It has Disappeared with the introduction of the Anniversary Update Edition .
I am Using Windows 10 Vers 1607 Build 14393.321.
Logged in as Administrator in my own account.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi sparks79,
  • Press your Windows key and S key together to give focus to Search field
  • In Search field type Power Options then press Enter key

That brings you here:

power.png

Click
    the Choose what the power buttons do hyperlink in left pane to get here:

power2.png

Where you will find the
    Change settings that are currently unavailable hyperlink

Regards,

Regedit32

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hi sparks79,
  • In Search field type Power Options then press Enter key

That brings you here:

View attachment 4247

Click
    the Choose what the power buttons do hyperlink in left pane to get here:

View attachment 4248

Where you will find the
    Change settings that are currently unavailable hyperlink

Regards,

Regedit32
Yes, and a month or two ago it gave you:
Power Options-2.PNG

Reaction score
Sign-in options.png
I wish it still did. I could use that option. It's no longer available, and I'm stuck with the above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Regedit posted you will be presented with the options page shown, to display the advanced settings that your looking for, type in "Sleep"
  • In Search field type "Sleep" then press Enter key
  • Click on "Change when PC sleeps plugged IN"(second option)
  • Click on Additional Power Settings > High Performance > Change plan settings > Change Advanced Power Settings.

Reaction score
PowerOp.jpg
As Regedit posted you will be presented with the options page shown, to display the advanced settings that your looking for, type in "Sleep"
  • In Search field type "Sleep" then press Enter key
  • Click on "Change when PC sleeps plugged IN"(second option)
  • Click on Additional Power Settings > High Performance > Change plan settings > Change Advanced Power Settings.
Thank you, Norton for that. I've been there when following the red directions. But I get what you see here. And I have version 1607, build 14393.321. Note the desired first option is no longer there, and this showed up sometime in Aug., with or after AU.

Reaction score
The recommended method must be there!

Try it the old way, but it should not make any difference..
Right click the start orb and then select the control Panel - Power options.

Then. You must click the option on the left "choose what the Power buttons do"

Reaction score
hi all
I am Using Windows 10 Vers 1607 Build 14393.321. same as above and I have the same problem
it is not there anymore so any other ideas please

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wish you would say exactly which setting with respect to power options you are wanting to adjust / change.
You are correct in saying that the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" is missing from Advance Power Options, but they are probably located elsewhere as some have suggested.
Judging from your image, perhaps you are looking for the prompt for a password when the computer wakes, which is now located in Settings -> Accounts -> Sign in options -> at the top......
Require sign-in -> If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?
Never or When PC wakes up from sleep.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
thanks for your reply
I go to power options-choose what the power button does-change settings that are currently unavailable--on the define power buttons and turn on password protection page there used to be Shutdown settings besides sleep and lock you had fast start up which is now missing on mine and this is the same as SPARKS79 question

Reaction score
You need to have hibernate on to see the option you are looking for. on mine;

power.png

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Do they have a book for Windows 10 dummies! We bought a new computer Hewlett-Packard, have always had one. This one automatically made us upgrade to Windows 10. I have no clue as to how to use Windows 10 this computer is brand new and I've had it for 1 month. I'm so irritated because I can't do anything on it.I'm not computer savvy but this is ridiculous! I need some serious help!

Reaction score
thanks davehc
but that is not there either. There are no other settings besides sleep and lock all the other settings that were there previously are now missing. I can live it as it is but I was just wondering if MSoft had changed something or whether
it was something that did not work properly during the download

Reaction score
Reaction score
Do they have a book for Windows 10 dummies! We bought a new computer Hewlett-Packard, have always had one. This one automatically made us upgrade to Windows 10. I have no clue as to how to use Windows 10 this computer is brand new and I've had it for 1 month. I'm so irritated because I can't do anything on it.I'm not computer savvy but this is ridiculous! I need some serious help!
... download & install "' Classic Shell " ... it's free ... it overlays w10 and makes everything look & perform like w7 ... https://www.google.com.au/search?q=classic+start+w10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=17cQWOjBE6LM8gfSnrfYAw

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me How to Bring back ( Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable ) in Power Management/Change Advanced Power Settings.
It has Disappeared with the introduction of the Anniversary Update Edition .
I am Using Windows 10 Vers 1607 Build 14393.321.
Logged in as Administrator in my own account.
sparks, do you have hibernate yet? Unfortunately I was experimenting and not following anyones step-by-step for me to cut n paste here, but I somehow got mine:
I just installed 10 home upgrade from 8.1 and tried to dim my display, then noticed there was only 1 plan (balanced) originally available, with no brightness gauge for me to slide left/right, and I think "Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable" either wasnt there or it was grayed-out. Adjusting my settings wasnt a priority so I just used my acer keyboard to dim.
when I went back to the power options, I apparently clicked on something different and ended up on a page that had a dropdown menu for me to select a new plan (pretty sure it wasnt the "create a new plan," because I wasnt creating one, I was unlocking the "high performance" since "balanced" had been the only option.)
Once there were two plans on the page, the "Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable on the "change what the power buttons do" page was suddenly lit-up, and when I clicked on it, the "hibernate" box (which had already been pre-checked, yet was not in my start button) also lit up, so I un-checked it then checked it again. and then hibernate was in my start button.
and even now, with both plans on the page, and after Ive made my changes, I still have to click on the "change settings that arent available" link if I want to check or uncheck the hibernate or sleep boxes...
I tried to find that dropdown menu page again, so that I'll remember how to unlock the "power-saver" plan when I need it, but I know its there somewhere, if you find it, you should be able to hibernate

Reaction score
STUMAN1000, be sure to check the date/s of the posts, this one is old with the last date of Oct 26, 2016. The OP/Original Poster may not longer be following it or has fixed or replaced the computer.

Reaction score
i did check, thanks. the poster Sparks79 has several posts and did identify which ones were resolved, and this one wasnt. but i would have posted this anyway because its an existing problem (it just happened to me, I got 10 for the first time this weekend) and i hate googling problems and finding old looong and CLOSED threads [that go way off-topic] for problems that Im currently having... that never posted a working resolution (I still use xp64, so it happens enough that I wish google would identify which of their search results HAVE RESOLVED an issue so i dont have to bother scrolling and scrolling to find "thanks for the suggestions guys, but nothing worked" throughout the thread)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Following up on Bighorn's post. Several items have changed in windows 10 over the last couple of years. You would be better advised if you posted a new thread with your problem, rather than restart an outdated thread with misinformation.

Ask a Question