Browser Numbers for March 2016

Reaction score
Okay, here are the browser numbers at the end of March 2016.

39.05% are using some version of Windows Explorer. This is a 5.74% drop from last month.

37.44% are using some version of Chrome. This is an increase of .88% from last month. Chrome has grown over 1% per month for 11 months now, and is on its way to replacing Explorer as the world’s most popular browser.

The big winner is Microsoft Edge, at 4.3%. Last month, it didn’t even make the list. This month, it passed Safari to become the fourth most popular browser in the world.

At 8.58%, Firefox has dropped 3.1%.

At 4.16%, Safari has dropped .72%.

Opera dropped .24% to 1.44%. This is only its second decrease in 11 months.

Crunching the numbers:

With 90.39% of the world using some version of Windows, only 43.2% of them are using the steadily-fading Explorer. Add in Edge, and 52% of all Windows users are not using a Microsoft browser.

My predictions? At the end of April 2016, Chrome will be the world’s most popular browser. Long before the end of the year, Edge will pass Firefox. The death of Explorer is as inevitable as the death of the well-loved Windows XP—as computers wear out, they will both be replaced.

Explaining the numbers:

All of these browsers (with occasional exceptions) work well. The worst criticisms go to Explorer, whose popularity is largely due to the fact that it is included with Windows so many people don’t change it. Edge’s burst in poularity far exceeds the growth of Windows 10—in my opinion, Win 10 users are carefully trying it out, and a lot of them are switching over.

Reaction score
Don't know about anyone else; but I hate Chrome with a vengeance. Given the way some software vendors (like Autodesk for instance - let alone those using a G-Mail account...) pretty much 'require' Chrome be installed in order to use their 'free' appz, it's no surprise that Chrome appears like it's "popular". My take on figures is that there's often more to the story.

As for browsers: my personal favourite is Pale Moon 64bit.

Edge is not very appealing, but given most Windows 10 upgraders/users probably don't know that they can still use Internet Explorer simply by searching their PC for it and just pinning it to the start bar, it's no surprise that MS Edge is suddenly in the stats.

Biggest issue with Internet Explorer under Windows 10 is that it runs like an athlete who's doped to the eyeballs - i.e all over the place!! And it will even disconnect itself from the net from time to time. Clearly Microsoft has pulled support for Internet Explorer and wants to 'nudge' folks into using Edge.

Whether the 'stats' accurately demonstrate the success of MS's plan to achieve that; or user inability to know how to use alternatives is another matter.

Just my tuppence worth...

Ask a Question