Browsers using wrong font

Reaction score
I had a critical update auto installed two days ago and now my browsers are using arial bold instead of arial. i have tried to delete arial.ttf and start over but w10 wont let me.
I have done a system restore and that has not helped either.

Any suggestions?

Regedit32

Reaction score
For Chrome:
  • Click the three horizontal bars at far right of top toolbar.
  • Select Settings from menu that appears
  • Scroll to bottom of page that opens and click Show advanced settings ...
  • Scroll down page to the Web Content section where you can click the Customize fonts button and a couple of other buttons to modify the font settings. Once happy with settings click Done

Some of the browsers tend to share data from the built in Internet Explorer 11 too.

• In Search box type Internet Explorer then press Enter key to open Internet Explorer 11
  • In top toolbar click Tools > Internet Options
  • On the General tab down the bottom click the Fonts button where you can adjust settings

Microsoft Edge does not have a font setting per se however you can adjust how fonts appear in it via your Display settings.

• Right-click on empty spot of Desktop and select Display settings
  • In the window that opens there is a Slider you can adjust to change size of text etcetera

My guess though is its using Internet explorers default font settings hence me mentioning how to change Internet Explorers fonts earlier.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm, perhaps there is an issue then with your Times New Roman and Courier New font collections.
  • Try right-clicking on Start then left-click on Control Panel
  • Select View by large icons
  • Click Fonts
  • Left-click-hold and drag both the Times New Roman and Courier New to your Desktop
  • Left-click-hold and drag both Times New Roman and Courier New from Desktop back to Fonts folder.

When you do this you'll be prompted would you like to reinstall fonts. Click yes for each prompt.

Then shutdown computer and restart.

That may resolve things. Report back on progress.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes that is correct. And for example with Time New Roman once on desktop there are four items all hilighted.

Drag them back to fonts folder and the prompt will ask four times to reinstall.

When you've done that for Times New Roman and Courier New fonts you can delete the ones on Desktop and shutdown computer then restart.

Reaction score
I've done the above but with no change. I wasn't asked if i wanted to install the fonts though. It asked if I wanted to replace them as they still existed, is that correct?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes that is correct.

When you click yes a slider moves where it is installing.

It's worth a shot. Don't forget to restart computer after.

If that does not help then I'll need to think about what else could be affecting the font this way.

Reaction score
I've done all that and nothing is resolved.

I cant see the arial.ttf in the arial fonts folder, only on the o/s C windows screen?

Reaction score
in control panel i can only see 8 font styles, but in photoshop i can see 9 styles which includes the Regular Arial font type.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The OS will be using fonts in the Fonts folder you open from Control Panel.

The fonts folder for photoshop is a separate folder of fonts designed to work with the Photoshop app.

The actual fonts in the Fonts folder accessed via Control panel need to be TTF format (True Type Format).

When you open that folder in left pane you can download fonts for all languages to get more.

Perhaps you are missing the fonts your browsers defaults are set for and this its defaulting to the current setting you have.

Alternatively you can download fonts with the .ttf extension from a third party source then simply drag into the Fonts folder to add to your collection. It must be .ttf though.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The Fonts folder's actual location is C:\Windows\Fonts

Mine has 107 fonts inside the folder and I've not edited this in any way so it ought to be the default.

Reaction score
The Fonts folder's actual location is C:\Windows\Fonts

Mine has 107 fonts inside the folder and I've not edited this in any way so it ought to be the default.

Interesting. I haven't modified mine in any way either and I only show 89. Maybe some of the OP's fonts were deleted somehow.

Ask a Question