SOLVED BSOD happening recently

Reaction score
Hello,

I've experienced BSOD's for the past couple weeks and looking for some assistance in interpreting the mini dump file. Please see attached. I suspect I installed some software that is not agreeing with the system. Any help you can provide is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Tony

Attachments

• 091516-15343-01.zip
    64.2 KB · Views: 349

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I took a quick look at your single dump file
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff802210f1e22, ffffc18149066380, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KxWaitForLockOwnerShipWithIrql+12 )
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff802210f1e22, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: ffffc18149066380, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.
NOTE: A single dump file is not a lot to go on and does not a pattern make.

I did not see any glaring issues, with the possible exception of a single driver
AODDriver2.sys 2/11/2014 Which is typically associated with AMD Overdrive; EasyTune 6, and or AMD Fuel.
Over the years (since Windows 7 at least) this has been a known cause of some BSODs and might be a good place to start, by uninstalling the software that added that driver to your computer and then checking
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
AND
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\AODDriver2.sys
To confirm that it is no longer present on your system.

Other than that..... I got nothing.
IF BSODs persist after removing that driver, attach them to your next post and perhaps a pattern might emerge.

IN the mean time..... Check your system memory

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Reaction score
Hi Trouble (nice!),

I am so appreciative of the effort you put in here and your welcoming me to the forum! This was my first post here and I'm very happy to know this community exists.

Yesterday I had about 7 mini dumps that I could have sent, but when I did a "clean files" process, the mini dumps were deleted. I had this one that I had copied off the system from earlier this month. Not knowing the protocol here, I thought I'd try with just the one mini dump. Even with that, you've given me a strong indication of where my problem is as I'm pretty familiar with the AMD driver stuff, so now I know where to begin narrowing down this issue.

I will go ahead and mark this thread as 'solved' now so that nobody else spends time on this mini dump file. If the issue continues and I'm unable to determine the cause, I'll post again with multiple mini dumps so that you can maybe spot a correlation/trend.

Again, thank you very much for your help! :)

Tony

Reaction score
I upgraded the graphics drivers as you advised and it seemed to stabilize for a while. But now recently I've had another 2 BSOD's. 2 Minidumps attached.

I am running ASRock OC Tuner, but not sure if this is associated with the aoddriver2.sys driver mentioned last time. If you still see a correlation with this driver, I'll either remove this or see if there is a newer one out.

Any help you can provide in pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony

Attachments

• Tonester-2minidumps.zip
    143.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything
Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff801be0a2b22, ffffa6803ab3e8d0, 0}
Probably caused by : win32kbase.sys
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
You may want to try Driver Verifier and see if it can spot the offending driver
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983

In the mean time just do a search to locate AODDriver2.sys on your machine. I mentioned a couple places above where it might be located.
Break it by renaming the file extension from .sys to .OLD
Reboot and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks much Trouble! I removed a few programs including the ASRock OC Tuner to see if it helps. BSOD's are few and far between, so it may take some time to isolate; marking again as resolved until I get more info. I'll run the driver verifier you suggested for good measure and lastly I'll rename that AODDriver2.sys file as needed.

Many thanks again for your help! ;-)

Tony

Ask a Question