SOLVED BSOD upon startup, can't boot to OS

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Windows 10 (64bit) has always had issues with "page fault in nonpaged area" errors, usually when rebooting from sleep. Yesterday, my system crashed again again. Instead of booting up as normal, it crashed again with the same error, rebooted, and crashed again. My computer can no long boot to Windows.

I've searched online and have seen that it could be my RAM, so I tried running one stick at a time and it didn't help. I also tried to use a bootable flash drive (made with Media Creation Tool) to reformat my hard drive / reinstall Windows 10, but I get the same error/crash when I boot from the flash drive.

Here's my system specs:

CPU: Intel I-4790k
RAM: G.Skill RIPJAW 2x8GB
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150
STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

Anybody have an idea on solving this issue? Any help would be appreciated

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Page fault errors can often be associated with the hard disk drive, where the page file is actually located.
You might try a new drive and see if you can complete the install on it.
It's possible you have a faulty or failing hard drive.

Reaction score
Page fault errors can often be associated with the hard disk drive, where the page file is actually located.
You might try a new drive and see if you can complete the install on it.
It's possible you have a faulty or failing hard drive.

Thanks for the suggestion, Trouble. I purchased a new hard drive and will plug it in and give it a shot tonight.

Reaction score
Trouble, I took your advice and it worked! I was able to do a clean install on a fresh hard drive. I'm going to see if my other drive is salvageable. Thanks for the help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great, glad to hear that you are at least up and running again.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I'm going to see if my other drive is salvageable
Good luck.
When you attach the drive, try doing so using an external connection, I have a USB 3.0 dock just for such things but there are USB cables available as an option to perform the same task.

If that is not an option for you and you have to attach it to internal connections, make sure that your BIOS boot device settings are pointing to the new working hard drive..... set it to the top of the boot device priority options.
Otherwise you might end up with the system still trying to boot to the bad drive.

Ask a Question