BSOD when in administrator account

Reaction score
I have been running windows 10 for a while now, without any BSOD whatsoever. About a month ago I added a new account and made it my administrator account, then changed the privilege on my original account to standard user account. No issues in doing so. Today, though I logged into the admin account to do some updates. But about one to two minutes into logging onto it, I get the BSOD with the error bad_pool_caller. The only thing that I had recently done was to install the beta version of Malwarebytes anti-ransomware. The first thing that I did after getting the crashes was to uninstall the program. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem (or was not the problem).
When I am logged into the standard user account I can run all day with no BSOD. I don't know any correlations between the admin account and the BSOD other than maybe there are some drivers it is looking for? Every time it crashes it says that it is collecting data before closing down. Where is this data and what is it telling about the crash? If it is not useful, then why collect it? Is there a dmp file of something that might tell me what to look for? I know I'm not the only one with this issue, but it is so frustrating when you don't know where to look. Sorry for ranting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, really.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums.
You can pretty much dictate how and where dump files are created and stored.
Here is what I recommend.
First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.
There are a number of things that differentiate a standard user account from an admin user account.
Somethings can and do happen when logged in as Admin that cannot or do not happen under a standard user account.
That particular error is generally associated with a hardware driver problem so you may find out that some third party software is calling a driver to perform a task that is not generally performed as a standard user.

My suggestion would be to restart your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (unless you suspect that the network driver may be the problem). Log in with the Admin account and see if the problem persists.

Reaction score
I thank you for your suggestions. I believe I may have found the solution, in my case anyway. I noticed that it was only happening when I had both accounts logged in. I went online and googled "BSOD Bad_Pool_Caller with multiple accounts" and got this website: BSOD bad_pool_caller with multiple accounts - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support.

I don't mean to suggest that they know any more than anyone else. It just happened that their suggestions given rang true in my particular case. I am using a Netgear router and am also using the Netgear USB Control Center app. By downloading the ReadyShare Printer setup v1.36.zip file, I was able to update the app (which Netgear acknowledged that had a problem with multiple users). I am now able to keep both accounts logged in without the BSOD. I don't normally keep both logged in anyway.
Hopefully this might help others with this similar problem. Thanks again for your response.

Ask a Question