BSOD while transferring files to ext HDD

Reaction score
Hi, I’m on windows 10, and i’ve been trying to transfer about 450 gigs of files to my external harddrive. It works well for the first minute or so, the transfer speeds are at 80-150Mb per second, then it slows down to like 500kb/s then it just blue screens my computer. Does anyone know what could cause this or what i can do to fix it? I’ve done a repair upgrade just now so i know it isn’t a windows files issue. I’ve also tried different ports and different external harddrives.

*edit* - it will fluctuate from high speed to like 300kb, go to high, go to low, go to high, go to low, then it just sits at 300kb/s and freezes the pc for 10 seconds or so, then goes to BSOD

Last edited:
Reaction score
What type connection between the computer and the external drive, USB 2, USB 3, eSATA? How much RAM in the computer? What is the CPU speed? The values of these things affect the performance.

The USB connection needs to use the cable designated for the port/s and drive/s to get the best performance.

The base issue is the computer first reads the data into memory then writes to the destination, does take time and can fluctuate when there are different formats and file sizes.

The BSOD may be either hardware or software issues. I use a bootable Linux Mint LiveDVD or LiveUSB Thumb drive to test outside the Windows environment.

Reaction score
I'm using a blue USB 3.0 port, 16 gigs of ram, intel core i9 @ 3.60GHz. I'm using a Gigabyte z390 UD motherboard. I posted in another forum the dump file and it came up with this after this poster over there helped me decipher it. He said - "The minidump file showed a

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124) error.

This is typically a hardware error.

Consider updating the BIOS which could potentially fix the issue.

The present BIOS version appears to be F8 .

F9 optimizes for Intel Core i9-9900KS CPU (which may also apply to i9-9900K) and F10 for security."

I read about upgrading to F10, but saw a lot of people having issues with doing the flash upgrade as shown in this post and more - https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/solqgu
so I'm a little hesitant to flash upgrade the motherboard now. Is the bootable drive you mentioned something that would help me decipher what is going wrong?

Reaction score
It has helped me several times. It is fully functional and Linux doesn't have to be installed on an internal drive. It allows file transfers from the internal drive to USB drives, has a file manager icon similar as File Explorer on Windows. The display of drives is a bit different but easily understood.

1684785112630.png

1684785720514.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
It has helped me several times. It is fully functional and Linux doesn't have to be installed on an internal drive. It allows file transfers from the internal drive to USB drives, has a file manager icon similar as File Explorer on Windows. The display of drives is a bit different but easily understood.

View attachment 14398

View attachment 14399

- that sounds great. I have some USBs around here I could use. Would it allow me to copy around 500 gigs from my internal HDD to an external HDD? Or how would I go about doing that using the LiveUSB thumb drive?

Reaction score
- that sounds great. I have some USBs around here I could use. Would it allow me to copy around 500 gigs from my internal HDD to an external HDD? Or how would I go about doing that using the LiveUSB thumb drive?
Yes, could copy 500GB, even more depending upon the Destination drive having the capacity. In Linux there's a folder on a taskbar similar to what Windows has on its Taskbar for file management, works just the same for drag and drop or copy and paste. Big caveat, don't reformat the plug-in drives unless needed, may not get the proper format. There is a program called GPARTED useful for formatting and can do a number of different format types, for Windows to read use the exFAT or NTFS.

Ask a Question