Buggy Start Menu

Reaction score
Right click Open file location not working in Windows 10 upgrade (from Windows 7 Premium OS)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click Open file location not working
Tiles or all apps menu items?
All tiles? All, all apps menu items?
Some tiles and menu items do not support that. Mostly Universal Apps.
Typically third party 32 bit applications will.

Reaction score
All my regular installed programs in the start menu as well as pinned to start menu... as you say most windows 10 apps and live tiles do not have that as an option in right click context menu... I can't find an answer to how to correct this anywhere. I also did an upgrade install on my son's 64 bit win 7 OS with zero problems in this respect. This only occurs on my 32 bit system.

I have just installed freeware ....Classic Shell Version 4.2.3 which gives a temporary start menu to use in the meantime. No error messages with this one.. works very well as a short term, I hope, work around for opening file locations quickly but I can still toggle the Windows 10 menu and use it as well. I would really appreciate any help with this as I don't want to do a clean install and have to re-install all my programs.

My upgrade was through windows update and my son's upgrade I did with media creation tool

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This only occurs on my 32 bit system
I hate it, when that happens. :)
Have you checked and made sure that all your windows updates are current and up to date? Some pretty weird start menu stuff seemed to be resolved after that last update yesterday or day before (KB3081424).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't want to do a clean install and have to re-install all my programs.
Not sure if this is actually helpful or not, but.....
Earlier today, I performed an In-Place Upgrade / Repair install of Windows 10, from within the OS using the installation media I simply ran the setup.exe from there and chose to upgrade and keep everything.
That was to address some minor issues I was having and it did seem to have worked (at least so far).
On the plus side, all my programs, settings, drivers, data was untouched.
On the minus side, it probably took longer than the initial upgrade.
In the end though I think it was worth it. Everything seems to be working fine.
Plus I just wanted to see if it would work. I've done it before in practically every previous version of Windows and wanted to make sure I could do it in 10.
I did create a disk image though.... just to be safe.

Reaction score
by Installation media do you mean a usb or dvd recovery you created or did you run the media creation tool again.
Will this work with an upgrade done from windows update or am I missing something in your meaning.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... downloaded the ISO, using the media creation tool and used Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive.

Reaction score
I used the media creation tool to make a usb recovery... so I can just plug this in and navigate to the setup.exe without having to boot with it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming it is a full installation then yes. You don't want to boot from it, because you can not perform an upgrade to an OS "since Vista" unless the OS is running.
You would boot from it if you wanted to perform a custom clean install, not an upgrade.
From within the OS you are basically installing Windows over top of itself. Be sure to check the box to get (download) updates or else it might fail.

Reaction score
Assuming it is a full installation then yes. You don't want to boot from it, because you can not perform an upgrade to an OS "since Vista" unless the OS is running.
You would boot from it if you wanted to perform a custom clean install, not an upgrade.
From within the OS you are basically installing Windows over top of itself. Be sure to check the box to get (download) updates or else it might fail.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... you know what I always say.....
If you can't make it better, make it worse and start from there.

Reaction score
OK.... you know what I always say.....
If you can't make it better, make it worse and start from there.
UPDATE: Unfortunately the reinstall did not change the problem and created a few new ones so rolled back to previous installation with open file location from start menu errors still an issue so hopefully one of the future windows updates will correct this:(

Ask a Question