Build 10240

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like things are finalizing pretty quickly.....
Microsoft has now finalized Windows 10, ready for its release later this month. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans tell The Verge that the software giant has selected build 10240 as the final release to manufacturing (RTM) copy, allowing PC makers to start loading the software onto new machines ready for release.
SOURCE: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/15/8950481/microsoft-windows-10-rtm-date

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Downloading now on both my Slow and Fast ring machines.
TH1 Professional 10240

Reaction score
At this point I'm patient and awaiting the final release in only two more weeks. These rapid build releases mean nothing to me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
awaiting the final release in only two more weeks
That's a pretty sound strategy, although I'm not sure....
A. That the release on the 29th will be all that different than this build, which is reported to be the build release to Windows OEM Partners today for their devices
and
B. That there is not likely to be further updates / builds that will still occur after the 29th. In fact I'm pretty certain there will be.

Reaction score
Downloaded, installed, configured and posting this reply in 27 minutes. Some new stuff showed up during install such as a license agreement.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check updates again....
KB3074663 should be pending and will require a restart.

Reaction score
Well this is a fine kettle of fish! I can't open the settings menu from either the notifications area or from the start menu! Can't check for updates! :(:(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try the backdoor
WinLogoKey + R
type
ms-settings:notifications
hit enter
does that work? can you navigate from there?

Reaction score
No water mark with the build number anymore, it feels like an actual complete and full windows 10. Loving it :)

Reaction score
Try the backdoor
WinLogoKey + R
type
ms-settings:notifications
hit enter
does that work? can you navigate from there?

My other computer upgraded to 10240 and the setting menu is available on it but using the run command you posted on this machine produces this:

error.jpg

Reaction score
My Surface 3 Pro upgraded very well indeed... Edge is lightening fast. It's like they have injected it with PED (Performance Enhancement Drugs) because it is very fast indeed. I'm very impressed. I haven't encountered any problems yet. Although MSIE 11 still looks dull and drab, is this because they want to push Microsoft Edge. Why not move MSIE all together and just have MSE instead, and download MSIE as an alternative browser.

Reaction score
I also will wait for the final, I assume it will just tell me to D/L after the 29th since I have that windows 10 reserve icon sitting there.

I do hope MS will also release a full ISO this time, to be able to do off line installs, I had a heck of a time finding a 8.1.1 ISO to update my W8.1 because the store D/L just wouldn't work.

I'm also wondering how the retail 8.1 key will work, since MS says this will be a "free" upgrade. I haven't seen anything where someone just ran a burned ISO of 10 to upgrade their W8.1 and if their retail key worked to run the installer AND activate it. When I upgraded to 8.1.1 using that D/Led ISO I first had to use a public installer key to get it installed, than my retail key activated it as usual, so I hope they have made some sort of changes to any W10 ISO's to be able to use the retail 8.1 pro keys if you try to install off line with a burned W10 setup disk.

I assume that when you D/L and install on-line it will be like when I went from W7 to W8, and the D/L creates a ESD folder with the full installer, which I did make an ISO of for that one.

PS This is my first post since signing up the other day, I was on another W8/10 forum but stuff happens, I hope things go better here :), I'll refrain from posting except on rare occasions now .

Reaction score
I am not what they call "power user".
Can someone tell me briefly what are the "improvements" and "bug fixes" implemented in this new build 10240?
I just cannot "feel" the difference.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well this is a fine kettle of fish! I can't open the settings menu from either the notifications area or from the start menu! Can't check for updates!
All I can say is.....
If something like that is going to happen to someone, it looks like it'll happen to you.
You don't happen to be Irish do you? What with the luck you seem to have.

There are a few power shell (run as admin) scripts that some have reported have helped them recover from similar issues.
https://www.techmesto.com/fix-start-menu-broken-windows-10-technical-preview/

Another powershell script which might help
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
SOURCE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-appear/a7c56613-277c-4993-bb74-08650dce7b21

AND yet a third where some have reported that the Phone Companion App caused their problem
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/build-10166-introduces-new-problems.731/#post-3240

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can someone tell me briefly what are the "improvements" and "bug fixes" implemented in this new build 10240?
Sorry David.... I've been searching the universe (actually just the web) for anything resembling "release notes" for this build and so far nothing.
If you find anything please let me know.

Reaction score
I just updated to 10240. I can't connect to the internet. I've been on the fast ring and never has this issue with other builds. Diagnostics says to reset the ethernet. My router is up and working, as my other two machines can connect just fine. I can't even get to by router via edge since it doesn't seem to see the ethernet card. Any ideas?

Ask a Question