Build 10565

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WOW........ very cool.
Device activation improvements: We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
An interesting version number?

VersionNumber.JPG

Reaction score
WOW........ very cool.

Yes, especially this part.................

If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. ...............

Now we have a product key to enter instead of " Skip ".
Or, do I understand this part correctly ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's the way I understand it also.
Although I would probably still choose to skip in most cases (except a clean install on a blank hard disk on a machine that has never had 10 installed before and no previous existing qualify versions of Windows) and then if it wouldn't activate I would use the "change product key" method as described.
This is going to change the way we've been answering some of these activation questions, when TH_2 becomes generally available to the public.

Reaction score
(except a clean install on a blank hard disk on a machine that has never had 10 installed before and no previous existing qualify versions of Windows) and then if it wouldn't activate I would use the "change product key" method as described.

Whoa..... wait a minute...........
Can we do that too ?

Let's say I have a Windows 10 upgraded from a qualified Windows 7. It's activated.
Now I shrink the volume and create a new partition.
I install Insider Preview 10565 into the new partition. It will show " not activated".
I can then use the change product key and use my Win 7 key to activate the preview ?

Really ?

That would be great.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was and have always been under the impression that if you used a prequalified Windows OS to satisfy the upgrade requirements that, that product key associated with that OS suffered "death by upgrade" and consequently was no longer useable. That is just me assuming again and I could be seriously wrong as I have never actually tried anything like that.
My sense is, that it's possible, as long as it is the identical machine in every respect, I just don't know if it is do-able from a legal standpoint.

Reaction score
I think I'll think 3 TIMES from now on before I attempt to answer questions about Activation.
It's getting foggy to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a total novice I have learned to watch out for certain buzz words. "Activation" and for files "ownership" and "permissions". Any of these can lead to total frustration and temptation to look for the nearest claw hammer.

Reaction score
OK, you convinced me. I just signed into and loaded Insider Hub. Maybe i'll learn something without a claw hammer.

Reaction score
excerpt from the same link as davehc's......................

For now, preview builds are delivered only through the opt-in Insider channel in Windows Update. They aren't yet available for download as ISO files that can be installed independently, which also limits testing.....................

In my opinion, MS should start releasing the ISO together with the new build release.
Forget about the Slow ring. Just give us the ISO same time or shortly after it is released in Fast ring.

I am sure there are Win 7 or Win 8.1 users still wanting to give it a try but not willing to give up what they have.
Being able to use the ISO to install in a VM or in Dual Boot will be an enticement they need to make the move.

The moment I realized it could be done, I immediately installed build 10565 dual booting with Win 10 Pro.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like this new activation procedure is coming with threshold.
Threshold has been the code name all along for windows 10..... this current iteration is actually Threshold 2 (TH-2).

Reaction score
Oh. I didn't look at the heading1 i see now I am in a build discussion. Those designations are , of course, for the builds, leading to , hopefully next month, the massive update/upgrade. I think it will actually be called Threhold2?

Ask a Question