Build 14955 is out

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Damn.... I just looked and didn't see anything.
Guess I'll check again.

Reaction score
I have it. Downloaded cleanly, runs ok. Nothing new really for PC.

I see that Dona is in NZ this week. Nice trip I guess if you can stand the jet lag!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Likewise.
I'll play with it a bit more to see if I can find any broken bits, but.....
So far on both my physical machine and in my VM, it seems to be looking good.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll play with it a bit more to see if I can find any broken bits
Well.... I've had a few days now to examine this most recent preview release that I installed in two separate instances (on a physical machine and in a VM) as an "Upgrade" that is to say, that I upgraded from within the immediately previous Insider Build.
I have to say that generally "Windows" worked fine, no boot issues, no hardware issues, no hangs, freezes or glitches, but....
The Apps were a disaster.
The Store on one would open and then close immediately on one but on the other worked flawlessly but across both installs, several of the other Apps.... Weather, Music, Photos, etc., would again try to open and then crash close immediately and irreparably, believe me I tried and then tried some more.

Wiped (diskpart -> clean) both drives and performed a custom clean install of both and everything is running again as it should be.

I've got to say..... IF (and that may be a big "IF") they actually want people to use these programs, someone needs to fix this issue or create a repair tool that actually works to address this problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Voilà —used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic
Today marked an epiphany of sorts for me and this problem, I've been having with updates of preview builds when it comes to the Store Apps and their frustrating crash / closing.

As with most of my problems, I found that this one too, was to some extent self inflicted, so....
I assume full responsibility for the fact that it happens at all, but.....
As to the WHY it happens, that part, I believe is fully owned and operated by Microsoft and someone a whole lot smarter than me will have to explain the why part.

Fortunately with the recent 14951, 55 and 59 builds I've had an opportunity to look closer at the problem and it is apparently linked to the Windows.old folder.
I couldn't understand why a build upgrade, after appearing to be fine in a day or two or sometimes even three of testing, would suddenly develop issues with the Store App itself and with other associated Universal Apps.
Well..... it was me.
An upgrade generates a couple folders which consume a fair amount of space on my C:\ drive....
$WINDOWS.~BT where it stores the actual upgrade files used in the process, usually around 3 gigs or so
AND
Windows.old usually around 13 + gigs or so, where (I thought) it kept files that would or could be used to revert back to "a previous build" in the event of something not going exactly right.
AND.... I don't like that. I consider or at least previously considered it all wasted space, so I generally, after a couple three days delete those two folders and I'm not kind or delicate about it. I take ownership and grant my user account full control of the folder, all sub-folders and files and delete both of them, but.....
Apparently, for some unknown reason there are files in the Windows.old folder that a seemingly, perfectly fine running installation still needs to support some, most, IDK, of the Universal Apps.

Why??? IDK, you tell me. Restored Windows.old from by backup and all was good.... The Store App and all Universal Apps were happy again, opened and stayed open.

So how long am I going to be expected to keep this waste of space 14 gigabyte folder on my computer?
Not sure, but going to test further, more delicately with CleanMgr (native) from a command prompt and see what it gets rid of if anything and what is left behind and whether it produces the same results with respect to the Store and its' Apps.

Reaction score
&The $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS. are, I understand, deleted after ten days. I usually copy them over to a spare disk, (in case!) But, I must admit, I seldom put this to the test. As soon as it is accessible, I make an iso from the install.esd and then make a fresh install.
Looking though insider posts on forums, this does seem to produce a more stable installation than the upgrade.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources and see if you have an install.esd.
I've done two upgrades to 14965 and in both cases, I could not find an install.esd afterwards.

Mindful of this, when I did the second one, after the whole download process was finished and just before the install began, I looked where I normally look and found the install.esd and quickly copied it to my Documents folder for safe keeping.

I'll try making an ISO from that one and see if there is anything unique about it.
According to what I've been reading, sometime soon, they are supposed to only download the bits that are required to perform the upgrade.
The ESD that I ended up with is a touch over 3 gigs in size, I guess I'll see what type of ISO and subsequent installation media it might produce.

Reaction score
Your second para is how I do it - save a lot of probs, sometimes, later.

I can't test if the install is still there, but will have a go with the next build (I am on safe). As I said, I copy them over to a safe place and, as soon as the installation is complete, delete the whole folder. The install.esd does, of course, remain on my copy.

Ask a Question