Build 14986

Reaction score
I usually watch the Ethernet speed using task manager and I did just now. My insider laptop has a 100Mbps max speed connected to a 1Gbps switch on an internet link that can and does run at 135Mbps.

To my amazement TM showed my Ethernet Receive speed running at between 79 and 98.6Mbps for the whole download....I didn't think you'd ever get that close to max speed with tcp/ip. I have never seen a Windows build coming down that fast before.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I Think that this might have been the first on the new UUP
I looked at the downloaded files before the upgrade was applied and I couldn't find an ESD or WIM file.
So..... here's hoping that they are going to be deligently posting links to the ISOs.
The upgrade process itself, looks pretty much the same as it has in the past and not remarkably faster as far as I can tell.
I hope that both go well (VM and Physical machine) and "no whammy".:eek:

Reaction score
The upgrade just the same I agree. My insider machine has one of those slow I5s 1.8 Ghz with a sort of turbo mode to 2.6 Ghz. It was running in Turbo mode all through the preparing to install stage

I read through the blog. I wonder if Cortana can automatically understand Cantonese and Mandarin or just Mandarin. The written forms are the same but the languages are quite different in sound. None of my Chinese ex-colleagues are in the Insider program as far as I know and they are all Cantonese speakers anyway.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Got the normal
$WINDOWS.~BT folder
Windows.old folder
But I also ended up with several files like GLOB(0x22b727c)
All in the root of C
Never had that berfore.... hmmmmmm.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I got those Glob files as well. Identical to yours. Interesting date stamps.

Reaction score
I couldn't help myself , I am back on the fast ring. This build seems to be OK. I could not find the esd file though..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
ME either.
I think it is due to the new UUP (Universal Upgrade Platform) scheme they have cooked up, which is suppose to make the process more streamlined by only upgrading those bits and bobs impacted by the new build / upgrade.

Personally, I didn't notice a thing, that looked "more streamlined" it took about the same amount of time as previous build upgrades and the process looked the same.
The only thing different (except for those weird files mentioned above that weren't there beforehand) was......
I didn't get an ESD file so no, home-brewed ISO, although they have stated that they will make the ISOs available. I guess we'll see.
So far 14965 still seems the latest available for direct download.

Reaction score
Just trying to update to 14986. Wonder if it is normal that suddenly I get two Windows folders (one with the extension 'old'). seems to me it has copied the windows folder and just now is starting to download the update..

no "GLOB" files as of yet

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wonder if it is normal that suddenly I get two Windows folders (one with the extension 'old').
Yep..... perfectly normal.
That's suppose to be used in the event you need or want to roll-back to your previous build.

Reaction score
I can delete files from the bin but it never shows that it is full. I have tried every fix I could find. Nothing works. I do not think that explorer is refreshing.

Reaction score
I "fixed" this download after trying for 2 days to install it. Deleted all of my virus protection programs, restarted numerous times, everything I had heard or thought would work but no success until I went back to Slow. No more errors but of course no download either hehe. Bring back XP

Reaction score
I am not using builds, for the moment, but still follow the progress.
I would have thought, without the esd, which is , in size, a full OS, the download would have been considerably quicker. A little surprised to read a comment that it seemed to take the same time!

I am sure the insiders are aware that, already, a registry "fix" has been posted, which will in the future, continue to get the ESD file, if you are more enthusiastic about a fresh installation than speed. of download.

Reaction score
So, I managed to get the 965 to install, but had to use the ISO method. Now that I have been on FR for a week, I had hoped that my Huawei Matebook would qualify for further updates. But no, even if 986 has been available for a couple of days, my Updater refuses to detect a new release. So I guess I am stuck on 965 until I take the time to do a new fresh install. Btw, 965 works fantastically well on my combo pad.

Reaction score
I am not using builds, for the moment, but still follow the progress.
I would have thought, without the esd, which is , in size, a full OS, the download would have been considerably quicker. A little surprised to read a comment that it seemed to take the same time!

I am sure the insiders are aware that, already, a registry "fix" has been posted, which will in the future, continue to get the ESD file, if you are more enthusiastic about a fresh installation than speed. of download.
The esd file that I got when extracted using the normal method was 4.5 Gb. I had t do it again and compress it. I would rather have a faster install.

Reaction score
Just saw this tweet. So that was UUP but a full build, so we should see a shorter faster build next time

upload_2016-12-12_12-53-42.png

And Dona says no new build today ( but maybe this week)

Ask a Question