Build 17618 fails to update to 17623/27/34. All fail c1900101

Reaction score
I am on 17618 and in general I have had few problems in the past updating to the lastest builds. This time both my laptops were on 17618 and both failed to upgrade (a Lenove and a Dell). On the Lenovo I went back to 17128 and it successfully updated to 17133. (fast ring).

On the Dell I have tried to upgrade from 17618 to 17623/27/34 (skip ahead) and every attempt fails c1900101. I have tried various things to find out what is causing the "skip ahead" problem to no avail. I want to keep the Dell on skip ahead rather than resolved the problem by going back to a fast build.

Help please!

Reaction score
Is there anyone in this forum who has the expertise to resolve my problem. I need to know where I can find the information that will point me at the problem. I have looked at error logs etc, but do not have the skill to find a reason for the fail. It has now been several weeks since I have been able to complete a successful update.

Reaction score
If you have not done so, running the troubleshooter may help and you can find references for that.

Otherwise, maybe something here will help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolution-procedures#0xc1900101
Thanks for your speedy reply.

I ran troubleshooting many times to no avail.

I looked at the link and checked out the setupapi.dev.log. There are several errors throughout, but I cannot ascertain the one that maybe count. The dump and the events log were not helpful for me.

Regards

Reaction score
Does your error message give the extended code?

You could list the errors to see if we notice anything...

Reaction score
Build 17655 also fails at the end of a long process. Halfway through, "working on updates", i.e.nearly finished it fails. Still need help with the logs to help identify what exactly is going wrong.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to remain patient.
These skip ahead builds are on their last leg as they will be rolled into the other conventional rings soon.
And skip ahead will be closed briefly before reopened for the next development fork (whatever follows Redstone 5).
When that happens I suspect they'll provide a stable ISO for download, which might be helpful in your case.
Just no idea which build of RS 5 it will be when it drops.

I just noticed this heads-up on twitter a while ago which suggests that most folks in the Insider Program will soon be moving, as I mentioned above over to the RS 5 development branch.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice. I had thought of this a while ago, but the latest RTM took so long to be released I did not have the patience to wait. I have tried all the skip ahead builds from 17618 to the current one 17655 and they all fail, which makes me think that I may still have a problem even after the demise of the RS5 skip ahead.

I will wait, but I would really like to get to the bottom of it. I have been on fast releases for a few years and I have always managed to master the problems. My luck has run out on this one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have been on fast releases for a few years
Me too.
AND
I remember a couple times we had to go backward a build in order to go forward to their most current offering.
I don't recall any of these since Dona took over but there were a couple when Gabe was still at the helm.
And the mobile versions for my phone was even worse, I had to revert to a reset and then rejoin the previews.

I don't recall the specific build you seem to be stuck on, but....
There may be something unique about your machine and its' hardware, some third party software on the machine or just a combination of those with that particular build that has you stuck and unable to go forward.

Reaction score
When 17618 was released I put two laptops (a Lenovo and a Dell) onto it and both failed to upgrade to 17623. I reverted back to an image of 17128 for the Lenovo and changed that laptop to the normal FAST builds and all is well. It is now on 17134 (1803).
Unfortunately I did not keep an image of a FAST build for the other Dell and it is now stuck stuck with 17618.
If only I could interpret the logs.......

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Ask a Question