Build 9926

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Installed and up and running.
Looking over things now. I'm liking this new OS more and more with each new iteration.
The new start menu seems better although even after customizing it still maintains a four column width on the right side which should be address, as it seems to big and blocky.
PC Settings is now just "Settings" and has a plain, black and white, almost Control Panel look..... and they haven't seemed to have messed at all with the Control Panel with the exception of removing Windows Updates from it (nothing too drastic).
Cortana is your default search tool, which seems to work OK, haven't fitted up my headset with Mic, so haven't tested the voice feature but if it works at least as well as my phone it should be fine.
Interested in hearing other comments from other members.....
Download link for multiple languages as well as 32 and 64 bit versions is here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Last edited:
Reaction score
So far it looks like everything is working. I need to play around with the Cortana app to see what all it will do but I don't have a mic hooked up so I can't use the voice option. I think I still have one or two of the old mics in a drawer somewhere so I'll look to see if I can get one hooked up. Windows Live Mail and Firefox are both up and running and I just used my Corel Paint Shop program so it too is working. Looks like Microsoft did a good job of getting the update ready to go.

Just noticed. Windows Update is missing from the control panel.

Clicking the search icon in the task bar now brings up the Cortana window with a greeting, top stories, some local news stories from our local paper and also the local weather.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a Windows Update out there for this new build already.... KB3034229
Use Settings from the Start Menu and then Update & Recovery->Check for Updates
As well as a Defender Update.

Reaction score
Been getting really annoyed at the One Drive window popping up all the time. I don't intend to use One Drive for anything and when I right clicked on the tile and selected the uninstall option it didn't show up in the Control Panel add/remove programs area. Wonder if there is a way to uninstall it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried right clicking the notification area icon clicking settings and then unchecking Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows

Reaction score
Have you tried right clicking the notification area icon clicking settings and then unchecking Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows

It won't let me remove the check mark. I just now looked in the Task Manager Startup tab and was able to disable it there. Will see what happens. I did notice that it indicated One Drive had a high impact on startup.

Rebooted and One Drive is no longer active.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like you're moving right along.
I had to stop. Got a Windows 8 laptop in for service and repair and had to actually work for a change.
Back to it later.

Reaction score
I am pissed off !!!!!
Cortana is not available in Canada.
Only in English (US) ?
What a pile of you-know-what !

Reaction score
I am pissed off !!!!!
Cortana is not available in Canada.
Only in English (US) ?
What a pile of you-know-what !

Hi David, you are not the only one. Looks like its not available in Australia as well. We'll just have to wait

Reaction score
I was told that I could change my region from Canada to US and that will make Cortana available to me.
I am not sure I want to do that for at least 2 concerns.....
1. Will change of region disable my Internet WiFi connection ?
2. Will it mess up my eBay account and my Paypal account ?

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. Too much messing around. MS might release an update to make Cortana available to different countries. Feedback time.
I would think there will be a lot of people saying something!!!
Cheers, Jim

Reaction score
So far it looks like everything is working. I need to play around with the Cortana app to see what all it will do but I don't have a mic hooked up so I can't use the voice option. I think I still have one or two of the old mics in a drawer somewhere so I'll look to see if I can get one hooked up. Windows Live Mail and Firefox are both up and running and I just used my Corel Paint Shop program so it too is working. Looks like Microsoft did a good job of getting the update ready to go.

Just noticed. Windows Update is missing from the control panel.

Clicking the search icon in the task bar now brings up the Cortana window with a greeting, top stories, some local news stories from our local paper and also the local weather.
I have the same issue. Windows Update is missing from Control Panel. I am not sure whether that is intentional. Windows Update can be accessed from "Settings" on the Start menu.

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Windows Update is missing from Control Panel. I am not sure whether that is intentional. Windows Update can be accessed from "Settings" on the Start menu.

This morning had a play around changing Region to US to see if Cortana would be available. No go. I'm just going to leave it alone unless someone comes up with some other idea.
Cheers, Jim

Reaction score
9926 is not playing nicely with my Big Fish Games. Big Fish uses a game manager program and it was working just fine in 9879 but can't open or start a game now. Tried installing a game and it would hang on the activation requirement. Finally was able to use some uninstall options and brute force to get rid of all the games and the game manager. Downloaded a new game manager and the install hangs on the gmActivator.exe file. Won't install even running as administrator. Something in build 9926 doesn't like that file and I don't know what it is.

The start menu and task bar icons are kind of wonky also. Sometimes they are very slow to respond and sometimes don't respond at all. I've clicked on an icon two or three times and suddenly had two or three of the program windows open on top of each other. Cortana is working as advertised though and she can be amusing at times. Aside from the Big Fish Game glitch everything seems to be working.

Reaction score
9926 is not playing nicely with my Big Fish Games. Big Fish uses a game manager program and it was working just fine in 9879 but can't open or start a game now. Tried installing a game and it would hang on the activation requirement. Finally was able to use some uninstall options and brute force to get rid of all the games and the game manager. Downloaded a new game manager and the install hangs on the gmActivator.exe file. Won't install even running as administrator. Something in build 9926 doesn't like that file and I don't know what it is.

The start menu and task bar icons are kind of wonky also. Sometimes they are very slow to respond and sometimes don't respond at all. I've clicked on an icon two or three times and suddenly had two or three of the program windows open on top of each other. Cortana is working as advertised though and she can be amusing at times. Aside from the Big Fish Game glitch everything seems to be working.

Hi Dipsy,
I just played the Fairway Golf program by Big Fish, worked like a charm. All seems well with my 9926 except in my case, Cortana is a bust. It worked initially, then busted. She keeps telling me very nicely that something is wrong, try again "In a little bit". I guess it's still very true that your mileage may vary.

Reaction score
That is standard now. It has to be accessed through settings

Reaction score
This morning had a play around changing Region to US to see if Cortana would be available. No go. I'm just going to leave it alone unless someone comes up with some other idea.
Cheers, Jim

Which way did you change the Region to United States ?

1. Control Panel > Region > Location > and change to United States ?
2. click Start > left side, select Settings > select Time & Language > select Region & Language > change the Country or region to United States ?

Ask a Question