"buttery smooth"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
The gentleman has said quite a few things over the months which have not been my experience

Reaction score
I was just about to post a thread about my experiences with build 10122 and they have not been buttery smooth.

It cannot remember default programs for opening pictures (jpg,gif, etc.). Every time I open a picture Windows asks which program I want to use and even though I tell it to use a specific program every time it still forgets.

The blue screen problems I posted about earlier have gone away and not a problem at the moment.

Yesterday I was getting a lot of random errors and problems and at one point I pressed the button to open my CD drive and it wouldn't open. At the same time the HDD activity light came on solid and not blinking. Opened the case and removed the SATA cable and the drive would then open. Messed around with things and eventually got the CD drive working.

Sleep mode is not functioning at all. Usually the monitor will go into sleep mode even when the CPU doesn't but now both the monitor and the CPU remain on and will not go to sleep. I discovered that if I did not log on after a reboot both the monitor and CPU would go into sleep mode. Logging on caused it to not function. After reboots sleep mode is now a hit or miss thing that works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Don't know what is keeping the monitor awake.

This morning I had more problems with Firefox and Windows Live Mail. Newsgroups were acting like there was no internet connection but the connection was active. Tried to open Firefox to double check internet connection and suddenly the screen went black and I started getting the error messages pictured below. I would open Task Manager and it would not show Firefox as an open app even though the error message was indicating it was running. Fiddled around and finally rebooted and now everything is function normally except the default program issue is still there.

Issues are appearing and disappearing randomly and no idea what the causes are.

error.jpg error1.jpg error2.jpg

Reaction score
RE : It cannot remember default programs for opening pictures (jpg,gif, etc.). Every time I open a picture Windows asks which program I want to use and even though I tell it to use a specific program every time it still forgets.

Use Open With option.
Right click at your jpg file > select Open With > at the bottom of the popup box, select Choose another app > select your preferred default program > at the bottom, check the box "Always use this app to open jpg files" > click OK.

IF you do not have Open With in your right click context menu, use this tutorial : It is applicable to Win 10 TP. I used that myself.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52833-open-context-menu-item-add-remove.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem seems to be associated with Windows Live Mail. I followed the tutorial you posted and if I right click a photo in my pictures folder there is an open with option but these pictures open with the correct default program without question. In WLM however, if I right click on pictures posted as an attachment there is no open with option and double clicking the picture as usual brings up the what program do you want to use pop up. This happens both newsgroup postings and email.

Reaction score
I myself have been using WLM since its introduction.

I did not know you were referring to opening picture attachments.
In that case, there is no Open With option.

However, right click at an attachment should give Open, Save As, Save All and Print options.
I use 2012 version.

Reaction score
I have, for example, set my default picture viewing program as "Paint", for convenience in this beta.
I did this through the CP - Default programs - Set your default program. But it can also be accomplished through the new method. Settings -System - Default Apps. A left click on an attachment opens it automatically in "Paint" for me. You can, of course, choose any other picture viewer as the permanent default.
You could also have a look at these settings, but I do not think they are the issue.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I've set the default in both settings and control panel in addition to telling the popup to set the default. This is happening on both of my computers running Windows 10.

Reaction score
Aha! Looks like I have solved the sleep mode issue. I installed a video game (Assassin's Creed Rogue) and I'm using one of my Play Station 4 controllers plugged into a USB port on the computer case. Hadn't thought much about it but on a whim I set sleep mode to one minute and unplugged the controller. The monitor and CPU entered sleep mode at the appointed schedule. Plugged the controller back in and once again sleep mode was disabled. For some reason the Play Station controller was preventing sleep mode.

This brings up another thought. The computer is smart enough to know when something is causing an issue and usually there is some kind of cryptic error message and a number/letter combination that can indicate several possible causes. If the computer is so smart and knows what is causing the problem why can't it just display a message such as "Your Play Station controller is preventing the computer from entering sleep mode"?

Ask a Question