SOLVED Buying a new Tablet with Windows 10 pre installed

Reaction score
Hi

This might be a silly question. I went into a store today to look at Tablets. I looked at a few Android and some with Win 10 pre installed. There was one that I liked with Win 10 as the OS. The guy in the store said yes that it was OK, but Windows 10 will be getting an upgrade in a few weeks and the Tablets that have it already installed will not get this update in the OS. I laughed and said " Surely you can just let the Tablet auto update, like on a PC or an Android device ". He said no you cannot update the OS that has been installed even Android are not letting this happen now.
This has left me slightly puzzled. We have an ipad and Android devices already and they do receive software updates all the time. Do any of you know if this is true or was he talking rubbish. I would prefer a windows Tablet for myself but do you think I should wait. Any advice would be great.

Reaction score
Stewart, I give this advice to anyone buying a new computer.
Go back to the store and write down the model number, type, name, etc., of the tablet you're interested in. Then go home and look it up on the internet.

I tried to research your question on the web, and the best I can find is https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-specifications

Different sites state that you can upgrade tablets with 7 or 8 to 10, and none of them warn that they cannot accept Windows updates.

Reaction score
A-ha
Thanks Vince. The model I looked at has a 32g Hard drive. I forgot that it may be difficult to do a full system upgrade on something with a small HDD. I could add a larger memory card say a 64g and flash it from that. Probably save me a few bucks than if I waited on a new model.
Thanks again for the reply.
Stewart.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys
Used to working with a laptop or desktop with large memory. Touch wood not had any problems with Win 10. I think I would like to try the Tablet route, for ease of transporting it about. I do see there may be problems because internal memory is limited. But can always expand this or plug in portable HDD as there are usb ports on the tablet. I love a challenge.. :)

Reaction score
I have an older Windows 7 tablet that I upgraded to Windows 10. Fortunately it has a 64gb SSD in it. I can see where 32gb would be a problem. Windows 10 by itself require about 20gb. Add a few programs, and there isn't enough space to download a large, service pack sized update.

My tablet, even though it has pretty weak specs, runs Windows 10 really well. If your considering a Windows 10 tablet, I would consider more onboard storage.

DWS

Reaction score
Hi Stewart yep its true microsoft will not be updating its own software on tablets.lol It seems the tablet techies will not allow microsoft to install certain software onto there tablets(some not all) because in their words " it is not in our best interests to do so" whatever that means... Iguessing it has somethingto do with crazy amount of memory needed to update win 10 on a regular basis....after 12 months of updates you will probs be left with no space to use your tablet.My advice is to choose an android system without win 10 OS until this issue becomes clearer.After all if you do buy it it will soon be useless to you anyways as you wont get vital updates needed to continue running it.Seems a lot strange that tablet manufacturers and devs are still selling tablets knowing this is probs going to happen in the future.I have a feeling that there going to a few rocky times ahead with a lot of very upset angry frustrated customers.

Reaction score
Hi Stewart yep its true microsoft will not be updating its own software on tablets.lol It seems the tablet techies will not allow microsoft to install certain software onto there tablets(some not all) because in their words " it is not in our best interests to do so" whatever that means... Iguessing it has somethingto do with crazy amount of memory needed to update win 10 on a regular basis....after 12 months of updates you will probs be left with no space to use your tablet.My advice is to choose an android system without win 10 OS until this issue becomes clearer.After all if you do buy it it will soon be useless to you anyways as you wont get vital updates needed to continue running it.Seems a lot strange that tablet manufacturers and devs are still selling tablets knowing this is probs going to happen in the future.I have a feeling that there going to a few rocky times ahead with a lot of very upset angry frustrated customers.
It's not a memory issue, it's a storage issue. If you only have a 32gb hard drive, and the OS alone takes up 20 of that, plus whatever any programs take up, there's no overhead to do a major windows update. The amount needed to download and unpack the update just isn't there. This isn't just an issue with Windows 10. Windows 8 had the same minimum requirements, and even Windows 7 took up 16gb just for the OS. The system requirements are virtually the same for Windows 7 through Windows 10. My tablet has a slow atom processor, 2gb ram and a 64gb SSD, and it runs Windows 10 perfectly fine. The key is buying one with a 64gb hard drive or larger.

An android isn't a bad idea if you want an inexpensive tablet. It all depends on what he plans to do with it. There's pro's and con's either way.

Ask a Question