Camera Issue

Reaction score
System will not recognize the built in camera. I have tried all suggestions, but none solve my problem. Camera was working fine, but suddenly it stopped working. Nothing new installed, nothing changed with my security software. Please advise. Thanks.

Donald

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Donald,

Which camera is this - the one built in to a laptop? If so, can you please provide your full laptop model number.

If you right click on the start button and go to "Device Manager" - does the camera show up anywhere on that list? Perhaps under "Imaging Devices"?

Reaction score
Hi Donald,

Which camera is this - the one built in to a laptop? If so, can you please provide your full laptop model number.

If you right click on the start button and go to "Device Manager" - does the camera show up anywhere on that list? Perhaps under "Imaging Devices"?

My computer is not a laptop. It is: HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-b011. It has a built-in Intel RealSense Camera. I appreciate your help. Let me know if I can provide other needed information.

Donald

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
I Tried the link and was told the drivers are up to date. Yes, the camera does show up under device manager. All driver properties show them to be working. I tried manually updating each one but they are all up to date. Really frustrating. Don't know what to do next. Thanks for your help.

Donald

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you load the default windows "Camera" app, does it detect anything? If you search for "camera" on the start menu, it's the one listed as "Trusted Windows Store App".

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try going to device manager, right click the webcam and to to properties. Then go to Driver > Uninstall Device and check the "delete the driver software for this device" if that box is available.

Once you've done that, restart the PC and let Windows re-detect the driver and install it again.

Reaction score
Just a long shot and back to basics. You have looked in Settings - Privacy - Camera, to make sure the camera is on?

Reaction score
Can you try going to device manager, right click the webcam and to to properties. Then go to Driver > Uninstall Device and check the "delete the driver software for this device" if that box is available.

Once you've done that, restart the PC and let Windows re-detect the driver and install it again.

I uninstalled the drivers and restarted the computer. The drivers are back and in working order, but still not able to access the camera. Error code is 0x00F4246(0x80070057). Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Donald

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try resetting the Camera App.
Start Button -> Settings Cog -> Apps -> Camera (select it) -> Advanced options (link) -> Reset (button)

Reaction score
Try resetting the Camera App.
Start Button -> Settings Cog -> Apps -> Camera (select it) -> Advanced options (link) -> Reset (button)

Done, but nothing new to report. Here is a screenshot of what I get when I select camera from the start menu.

Donald

upload_2017-9-6_15-30-33.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any chance that this might be applicable
If your webcam or Camera app in Windows 10 won’t open and you get an error message saying that we can’t find or can’t start your camera (including error codes 0xA00F4244 or 0x200F4244), the cause might be antivirus software that’s blocking the webcam or camera
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13753/windows-10-can-not-find-or-start-the-camera

Are you using any third party security suite on the problem computer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows key + x and in the run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click ok
In the services management console scroll down to
Windows Camera Frame Server see if you can start that if it is not running.
IF it is running stop it and see if that has any impact
Additionally
Double check Windows Image Acquisition make sure it is running and set to automatic
Just double click them to start or adjust the properties for startup type.

Failing that and IF you are comfortable working in the registry.....
Have a look here
https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-windows-10-cant-start-your-camera-error-0xa00f4246-0x887a0004/
Seems like a relatively simple registry edit and might be worth looking into.

NOTE: Any links that I provide may contain Ads and other links within them. Please do not click any of those, just read the contents of the article.

Reaction score
I was plagued with the same problem on one of my computers. I tried all the remedies suggested in this thread, to no avail. In the end my son, who is a computer technician, said it was a harware problem, nothing to do with software.
He inspected and found a loos/almost severed, connection to the camera.

Ask a Question