SOLVED Can go into camera file to view but not download

Reaction score
Hi. My brother has a small problem. He upgraded to win 10 then had great problems with drivers which I am trying to sort out for him but at the moment he has rolled back to win 7. The only problem he has now is that he can't download pictures from his camera either by connecting via usb cable or putting the sd card in a slot on his laptop. We can view them but not copy, paste or download them to the computer. we have re-installed the programme that came with the camera which always worked fine with Win 7 before. All we are getting every time we try to transfer the images no matter what method we use is a pop up saying you do not have permission to do this action. he is logged in as an administrator. I have tried logging in as a user, logging as a different adminstrator but am now running out of options any suggestion, hints tips would be most welcome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try creating a new folder on the desktop.
Then see if you can drag and drop a single picture from the SD card onto that new folder.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that it worked, but that wasn't intended as a solution, just a test to determine if you have what I suspect is an underlying permission issue with your containers within your user profile.

Reaction score
Glad to hear that it worked, but that wasn't intended as a solution, just a test to determine if you have what I suspect is an underlying permission issue with your containers within your user profile.
Want to thank you , I think there is some other issues there also . As I do have the driver for the laptop , I am using , the sound works , that is VERRY , Cortana to work .But cameras are not high proity. I have a MICROSOFT camera 3000 & not support for 10 , probably will not get because of age . 2 of my computers have drivers for X-BOX Controlers & camera . I will go new cameras that high end . I haver several cameras Logitech, and work , Thanks for you support . I have asked to call Logitech .

Reaction score
Trouble, yes I also think that there is a permissions problem as I have downloaded the pictures onto two other computers without any problem. I am thinking that if i create a new user with admin privledges and then delete the old user the new user should have no problems. Naturally I will log in as the new user and try to download before deleting the old user.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, but personally I would just fix the permissions for the problem user and be done with it.

It has to do with the upgrade's impact on security permissions on the various User Folders in your user profile.
It can be a real pain to resolve but if you're willing to try.....

It is, probably going to require all three of the following steps to resolve it, but....
Feel free at any time to test at the end of any step and see if the problem is resolved

Step #1
Go here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
Download "TakeOwnership.zip"
Extract it and double click "Install TakeOwnership.reg"
Answer any prompts (possibly two) in the affirmative.

Now go here
C:\Users\YourUserName\
Right click a problem container (directory / folder) let's start with "Documents"
Choose "Take Ownership" from the right click context menu
Answer the prompt in the affirmative
and give it a minute or two (depending on how much is there) to complete.
Now for the somewhat more difficult step
When it is complete (the DOS windows has disappeared....

Step #2
Right click the Documents folder again and choose properties.
From along the top choose the "Security" tab.
In the box titled "Group or user names:"
We want to explicitly grant your "User name" full control to that directory, sub folders and files, so......
Click the "edit" button just underneath that box.
In the resultant windows click the "add" button
Click the "Advanced" button
Click the "Find Now" button
In the "Search results" box at the bottom find and double click your User Name
Click OK
Now select your user name and examine your permissions in the box labeled "Permissions for Your User Name"
By default they will generally be only " Read & Execute, List folder contents and Read"
We need to change that by checking the box at the top of the left column under "Allow" "Full control"
AND click OK

Step #3
Unfortunately we are not completely finished.
Now click the advanced button again
Select your user name from the list
Click the "Disable inheritance" button
Select the "Convert" option from the prompt Window.
Now.....
Check the box at the bottom that says
"Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object"
That will cascade all your changes down to sub folder and files.
Answer the prompt in the affirmative when asked if you are sure.
And may take a while also depending on the amount of data present.
Click OK
Again if any prompts are presented, answer in the affirmative. While OK'ing your way back out of any and all open windows or dialog boxes.

Now we're done and if you've been patient enough to follow all of the above correctly you should now be able to save to, and or edit, anything in your documents folder.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. It worked, evertything is working as normal now. Again many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to get it sorted out.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
The way I fixed permissions was to do a clean install from within Windows. What a pain if I had to do all my folders and give permission since I went from 7-8-8.1-10 over the years. It was time for a clean system anyway.

Ask a Question