SOLVED Can I Install, the Free Version of Windows 10 Again

Reaction score
I installed Windows 10, on my Partners PC, prior to the July 31 cut off period. Now down the track, it has Downloaded a number of Updates, and after that the PC would not start. It went as far as the Windows Icon, then stopped. We tried all sorts of things to get it going again, Safe Mode, it tried itself to repair, no luck, unable to Restore.
In the end, we decides to do a Clean Install of Windows 7, by going in to the BIOS and getting it to Boot Up from a Disk.

This worked fine, and Windows 7 is operating well.
My question is : Would I be allowed to download the free version of Windows 10 again, without having to pay.

It is the same computer, same Hard Drive, same Memory and Motherboard, and the same Version of Windows 7 that was the OS prior to the Widows 10 install. It was not our fault, that the Updates, caused the crash. Would appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Alf,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes you can as the digital licensing used for Windows 10 applies to your hardware setup.

Once installed it ought to automatically reactivate itself.

Before you install again though, it'd pay to prepare the machine by updating drivers on it now for your hardware devices etcetera.

Some of you third party applications may also have patch updates that will make them more compatible with Windows 10 also so it'd be worth checking for updates for that too prior to installing Windows 10.

You can download the Media Creation Tool here and also the Windows 10 iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just make sure when downloading the iso it matches your windows 7 version, for example Home, x64, international English if that is how your windows 7 is set up then windows 10 needs to be same.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32, I much appreciate your help and I fully understand what you are saying.
I will give ir a go, but as you say I will make sure all is up to date, and that I have the correct Iso version.
Thank you very much for the info that you have given me. There are quite a lot of nice helpful people on the internet.

Ask a Question