Can I view Folder file size and organize by it?

Reaction score
I have a 500GB SSD, which holds my OS. I also have about 5TB of HDD space.
I like to install games on the SSD (so they run faster) but just saw that it was at over 80% capacity. I can tell, from the folder info that, “Program Files" takes up most of it.
The problem is that there are at least 100 game/program folders in that folder. I would like to organize them from largest to smallest and delete or move the biggest offenders, depending on how important I think they are.
With over 100 folders, it's ridiculous to have to click on each of them, and look at the info individually and then, probably have to write it down too! It's a computer! I'm supposed to let it do the work so I don't have to waste paper!
After nearly 30 years of using Windows, this has been one of my biggest pet-peeves! My first computer had 64KB of RAM, storage has always been an issue. Why wouldn’t that be an important thing to look into? I shouldn’t have to do more work than my computer, to figure out what folders take up more space!
To the point: Is it possible to look at a list of folders in Explorer (Windows not Internet) and see the “file size” of the total contents of the folders without having to look at each individual folder?
Thank you.

Reaction score
I have already set up my system so that "My documents" are already stored separately (on an HDD). The issue is trying to get rid of large, unnecessary folders on my SSD.
Why, if the info is available in the context menu of each folder, is it not available in the list of folders, when it shows it for the files themselves in the same list? I just think, after 30+ years, that I would be able to look at my directory and see how much space is being taken up by any given folder, without having to go through over a hundred, one at a time!
Also, Your link was about moving my documents, not about an easier way to see how large my folders were.
P.S. I have used WinDirStat before, but it doesn't really address the current issue. I just think it should be automatic in Explorer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know. You'd have to take that up with Microsoft. The way they do stuff doesn't make much sense sometimes. That's why other than gaming, and maintaining family PC's, I've migrated to linux for the most part.

Reaction score
If you select view in the top menu, in explorer, and then "Group by", - Size, it may be enough for your purpose?

Reaction score
Jus a little more to add.
I find having them grouped suits me. But also, for more sorting, you can::
1. select "View" again on the top bar and, for me, details.
2. I then open "Sort by" and, in you case, select "size".

Just tried size in one of my picture folders, This is a small example of what I see::

1591346465074.png
:

Ask a Question