Can not select specific download folder locations at time of download.

Reaction score
I recently built a gaming desktop PC with a clean install of Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Before this I also had a laptop and ten year old PC that I installed the Windows 10 free update from Win 7 Pro 64 bit to Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

I distinctly recall being given the option to select a download location at the time of the download. I'm not referring to changing the default download location but having the ability to save downloads to selected sub folders within my downloads folder rather than having to open a new window after the download to move file to an existing sub folder at best or having to create a new sub folder (organized by applications like "digital photography filters" and/or by hardware/software manufacture's name) to keep thinks organized. With this new PC and using the same browser I never get an option to select a download location at the time of the download.

Obviously this menu option opened in response to clicking on a download link within a browser (I use Google's Chrome browser exclusively just to keep the UI consistent for my foggy brain) but I am not sure if this is an OS settings issue or something based in the browser settings. I am NOT interested in changing the default download location but want the option back to select a download location for each and every download at the time of the download.

The only two obvious variables I can think of to possibly be related to the difference (and as mentioned don't know if this is an OS issue or browser issue).

1. Older PC's had this option already when running Win 7 and/or XP before that and both of the PC's running Win 10 that still have this option were upgrades to Win 10 from Win 7.

2. Besides having the clean install the new PC has Win 10 Home instead of Win 10 Pro.

Having to go back and move each and every file download into organized sub folders is exceptionally time consuming when setting up a new PC with a new OS.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I use Google's Chrome browser exclusively
In Chrome, click the three horizontal line icon near the top right of the browser.
Choose "Settings"
Scroll to the bottom and choose "Show advanced settings"
Scroll down to "Downloads" and tick the check box that says "Ask where to save each file before downloading"

Ask a Question