Can only boot in safe mode.

Reaction score
My main Windows 10 installation (#1) stopped booting today. I see the Windows logo but then everything goes black. Other times I get the blue 'Recovery' menu, but nothing so far has helped. I can however boot into safe mode, and it seems to work properly. What can I do to fix this?

My PC has 2 Win10 installations and 2 Win7 installations on 3 drives. The issue started after I booted into Win7 partition #3, and the computer had to check/verify/repair the file system etc on all drives. After that, I was able to boot into #3 again. But after trying successfully booting into #1 again in safe mode, then when I tried to boot to #3, it started the file check again. And then I can boot #3 again. #2 and #4 seems to works fine every time.

I have used EasyBCD to create the boot menu.

Disk 0 (HD) = Windows 10 (#2) and Windows 7 (#3)
Disk 1 (HD) = Windows 7 (#4)
Disk 2 (SSD) = Windows 10 (#1) (Default OS)

Another clue perhaps is that when I boot into #2, where EasyBCD is installed, if I launch EasyBCD, then #1 is listed on drive G:\. But drive #1 is not mounted. And when I went to give it a drive letter, G:\ was not available, only H:\, which I then used. So it seems that Windows thinks that G:\ is in use when it's not.

And when I went to EasyBCD to try to add a new entry with #1 on H:\, then H:\ does not show up in the list of available partitions, but G:\ does.

Last edited:

Ask a Question